Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #1 
abo3791

Fish Freaked after Cleaning

Hi...I'm kind of new to betas. I had some when i was little but my mom mostly took care of them for me. Now my boyfriend bought me a beta, which i have named Jose Cuervo (because he lives in a margarita glass). I've only had him for a week and a half. After our first week together I decided to clean out his bowl. I put him in a small plastic cup while i washed things up, i did this just by tipping him into it because i was afraid a net might hurt. And when I was done I tipped him back into his home. I was so scared because I noticed his normal dark blue body was white. And he was swimming franticly, stirring up the jems and swimming at the glass. His color slowly darkened and now is completly back to normal. I want to try and clean his bowl again, for the second time. But before I do, did I do something wrong in cleaning his bowl the first time.

He also has a ring of bubbles around his bowl...good sign? Does this mean he wants to mate or something?

I'll post a pic of Jose Cuervo Soon. I hope that by joining up here, I'll be able to take care of him all by myself!
abo3791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:09 PM   #2 
Vikki81207

Do you use water conditioner? What you're keeping him in is probably too small too.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:17 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

Moving them can stress them out, it seems like that is all it was. It does sound like what he is being kept in is way too small.
Is it at least 1-2 gallons? 2 gallons should be a good minimum especially in the winter months you can use a mini heater in a 2 gallon.
Water conditioner is a must, you are using it right?
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #4 
bubs128

He was probably just startled by the cleaning. From the way you describe the foam, it sounds like a bubble nest. I believe that is fine. Do you use water conditioner? I use bowl buddies it works very well. :) Like Vikki81207 said you should probably put him in something bigger. Hope this helps.
bubs128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:32 PM   #5 
abo3791

Thanks. Hopefully he'll be used to the process when I clean his bowl again! And I already knew about the treating the water needs, so I've got that covered. I read online bettas are fine with a smaller space but his bowl really isnt that small at all. It's not actually a real margarita glass, I got it from a specialty glass ware store so it's pretty big. But I guess to be on the safe side I'll look into a better bowl.

I want to post a pic...not sure how to do that exactly, help?
abo3791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 04:37 PM   #6 
Vikki81207

Well bettas live longer with a heater and filter. And if his bowl has no top to it, you may want one because bettas jump.

For the pic, upload to photobucket and copy the html code. Then on here where the font stuff is there's a icon that looks like a picture of a mountain. Click on that and paste your code.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:46 PM   #7 
jeaninel

To post pics I always use the paper clip icon. That way you don't have to have a photobucket (or similar account). Click on Browse where is says "Upload file from your computer", then just browse to wherever your pic is stored on your computer and double click it, then click on upload. Preview your post to see the image.
jeaninel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #8 
Yuuki

The sudden color change sounds like stress or shock. Could just be that he isn't used to being moved, or it may have been caused by a quick change in temperature. I'd buy a water thermometer so you can be sure the new water is the same temp as the old.

I made the temperature mistake the first time I changed my Betta's water, and this sounds exactly like how he reacted. D;
Yuuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:34 PM   #9 
rb500

Yes, please get a bigger bowl for him. and bettas are NOT fine in a small space. this is a lie that the whole world has come to believe and advertise. you would be shocked at the kind of homes people try to make bettas live in. just because a puppy may be able to breathe in a box only large enough for him to sit, doesn't mean he will be content to live there. you could probably survive in a 2x2x2 room, but you wouldn't be happy or healthy. and i agree with the others, it was shock from the water change, that is all
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #10 
sunkissedinCA

definitely sounds like he was stressed from being moved. he'll be ok though, he'll get used to it if you keep a steady cleaning schedule. and the bubbles at the top of his bowl are a good sign, its possibly the start of a bubble nest. i'm also in agreeance with everyone else, i strongly recommend getting him a larger home. i can't wait to see pics of him
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote