Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM   #11 
rb500

Maybe 30 mins to do mine, with a little practice I'll speed up :)
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #12 
RoseyD

Partial water changes - the siphoning is easy - the pain is carrying the clean water to the tank and getting them re-filled...

the smaller tanks take about 15 minutes (2 - 5 gallons )

The 12 gallon takes about 30 minutes.

The 20 gallon, the first partial water change took me 45 minutes... Oh my aching back...

I haven't cleaned the 30 gallon yet - but if the first filling of it is anything to go by - it'll take hours...

Thank goodness for planted tanks - hopefully I won't have to do a major water change for a very long time to come...

Algae... oy! what a story! My 20 gallon is filled with algae - so I went shopping last night and bought 3 zebra otocinclus - really cute those little catfish... they didn't move much in the bag - but oH did they know what to do when they got into my tank. :)

They aren't zippy movers like the cories are. And so far, my betta girls have ignored them completely. I saw Sapphire looking at the three of the otos, attached to the glass in a row this morning... and she didn't know what to make of them... I know they get around ... but I rarely see them actually swimming.

I completely recommend - bigger tank with algae issues - get something to eat it - why waste your elbows scrubbing the stuff away if something out there likes to eat it? :)
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM   #13 
dr2b

RoseyD, I'm surprised you don't have that python siphon for the larger tanks. I think that is what Synthisis is going to get for his 30 gallon I think.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #14 
RoseyD

I considered it and then decided it would be to difficult to use it since my sink is at the opposite side of the apartment, and every time I'd go to connect it, I'd have to remove my brita filter - and possibly strip the faucet with too much fiddling with screwing things on and off.

No, I resort to using two 5 gallon home depot buckets - one for dirty water, the other for clean, a quart pitcher to pour the water back into the tank ... and the power of my shoulders and back... Let's hope neither of those give out for a long time to come.

It's hard to imagine - I now have tanks in every room except the kitchen. Some manner of stress relief, certainly - and, definitely a hell of a lot more work than my cats.
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #15 
dr2b

I just found someone who is giving me a 15 or 20 gallon and a 35 gallon for free with filters and what not. I'd love to sit the 35 gallon up - but I don't have any room for it lol.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

You've got to find places for all those tanks! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #17 
dr2b

Synthisis is taking the smaller one for Neptune. I am htinking of letting him sell the 35 gallon on craigs list or something.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #18 
Kim

Takes me about an hour to do my 3 tanks (5.5, 10, and 15 gal). I just do it all at once
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote