Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

NLS grow for a baby goldfish?

Would NLS grow be a good staple for a baby comet goldfish? Or should I stick to a goldfish specific formula? Also what about the Thera-A formula?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #2 
thekoimaiden

Personally I'd stick with Thera-A. Goldfish from pet stores often carry a lot of parasites due to the poor conditions in which they are raised. The garlic in that formula is good for keeping them at bay. Plus, it has a pretty high protein content which goldfish need the first couple of years of life. Just be sure he also gets some greens like red lettuce, spinach, and zucchini.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Personally I'd stick with Thera-A. Goldfish from pet stores often carry a lot of parasites due to the poor conditions in which they are raised. The garlic in that formula is good for keeping them at bay. Plus, it has a pretty high protein content which goldfish need the first couple of years of life. Just be sure he also gets some greens like red lettuce, spinach, and zucchini.
Cool. I was hoping Thera-A would be an option because it has garlic and comets are notorious for carrying patasites. I was also looking at some Hikari growth koi formulas...and theres even a saki-hikari one but idk if it is available in the US. Anyway would those be good too?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:28 AM   #4 
thekoimaiden

Those brands would be good, too, but there is no need to spend the extra money unless you are trying to grow a rather large comet. Those brands are both pretty expensive; if you look at the ingredients of most good brands you'll find they are basically on par with each other. I use the Drs Foster and Smith brand koi food (works for all pond fish); it's half as much and contains the same ingredients. Hikari is good for specialized things (like the lionhead feed), but you pay a lot for the brand name, too.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:30 AM   #5 

I would offer both the NLS and the garlic enhanced food IF parasites were suspected.
If your not introducing store bought fish(quarantine) that may carry parasites,and tank is maintained regularly,then parasites should not be an issue.
NLS is excellent food and is rich in vegetable matter,fruit,which goldfish will thrive on.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Those brands would be good, too, but there is no need to spend the extra money unless you are trying to grow a rather large comet. Those brands are both pretty expensive; if you look at the ingredients of most good brands you'll find they are basically on par with each other. I use the Drs Foster and Smith brand koi food (works for all pond fish); it's half as much and contains the same ingredients. Hikari is good for specialized things (like the lionhead feed), but you pay a lot for the brand name, too.
Good point...idk if I want to spend $30+ on a bag of food for a goldfish...However; I do want to grow an impressively sized comet...But $30 for a bag that won't even get half used in 6 mos....eh
Old 06-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #7 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1077 View Post
I would offer both the NLS and the garlic enhanced food IF parasites were suspected.
If your not introducing store bought fish(quarantine) that may carry parasites,and tank is maintained regularly,then parasites should not be an issue.
NLS is excellent food and is rich in vegetable matter,fruit,which goldfish will thrive on.
Good points...I think I might just feed nls goldfish formula as a staple...I'm thinking those pellets might be too big for him if I get him at a very tiny size..Then I might go with thera-A for a while ....