Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 AM   #1 
kvw1988

Petco King Betta

So I have been going back and forth for a couple weeks on what to do with a spare 20 gallon long aquarium I have. First I was considering moving my male VT, Guillermo, into it by himself but he seems to have settled in rather nicely to his 5 gallon and I'm not sure I want to move him.

Another option I was considering was getting a King Betta from Petco for that tank but I haven't been able to really find much info on them so I was wondering if anyone had had one and how and if they differed from the regular bettas in anyway.

Thanks everyone :)
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:39 AM   #2 
a123andpoof

I have two kings. The only differences are they need more space and they eat more. I usually feed mine 5 to 6 pellets sometimes more per meal (I have never had a problem with bloating with either of them). Also they need 5g or more. Both of mine have 5g each and are perfectly happy so I am sure if you got one yours would be thrilled with a 20g. Any other questions feel free to message me! I just had a 5g open up and want a third king I just love them!
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #3 
kimt

I have a king betta from petco. Although I think he is a giant. He is much larger than the kings they sell there. Nearly 4 inches long. His care is no different than my other bettas but like previous poster said, they need more space and they eat more. I just moved mine into a 10 gallon and he is so happy with the space. I feed him 8 pellets twice a day.
kimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:03 AM   #4 
a123andpoof

Might up my feeding lol although I really just drop a bunch of pellets in and call it good. Both seem well fed those are the only two I do that for of course.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #5 
Stone

I have 2 from petco, there is really no such thing as a "half giant" they either have giant dns in them or they do not, their sizes will vary my halfmoon "king" is right around 4 inches from tip of nose to the beginning of his tail, the regular king has a more wild PK look to him and is maybe 2 inches long but he is still very young, can't wait to see how big he gets
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #6 
Wildbetta

I had a king from Petco for about 2 yrs or so. He was definitely larger than my other males and ate more. He needed more space than the others but also liked the filter flow more than any of my other males. It may have been because he wasn't pushed around as much but he loved to swim in the current of the filter. But like previously posted, size of the living space and feeding is normally the only thing different than the care of the other bettas.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #7 
kvw1988

Thanks for all the input everyone :) I did think of one more thing, as far as longevity, will they live as long as a well cared for regular betta or are they like large breed dogs in that they don't tend to live as long as their smaller counterparts?

Well if I have time tomorrow I'm going to go take a look at them and maybe bring one home :)
kvw1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #8 
Wildbetta

As far as I know, they live the same lifespan as all the other bettas. The one I had was of course older when I got him since he was from Petco (normally they are closer to 1yr old) and he lasted a good 2 yrs with me and lived through a couple of "problems" that my other bettas did not.
Wildbetta is offline   Reply With Quote