Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #31 
Mankey

I have now tested my tap water for ammonia. It checked out at 0 ppm, so it's good.
Mankey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:17 AM   #32 
Mankey

Generally how long should it take for my betta to recover, assuming it really was ammonia poisoning (which seems pretty likely)? I shouldn't add in any of the girls into my tank until she's doing better, right?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:16 PM   #33 
Mankey

Never mind. I don't need the question answered. Eva (that's what I had named her) passed away sometime last night. I found her not moving this morning when I had woken up early to go to my graduation...
Old 06-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #34 
Mankey

I got a little bit impatient and released all the girls into the tank (sorry, guys).

I'm having trouble finding out what the "pecking order" is, though. It's basically just this:

1) Violet (she's much bigger than everyone else and seems to be using it to her advantage)
2) Everyone else

At first she wasn't that bad, just regularly chasing a girl, resting, then going to chase another. But she's starting to chase more now.

Also, apparently the girl that seemed like she would be 2nd most aggressive hasn't really even interacted with any of the others. Even though she flared at them whenever she saw them from inside her container. Oh, and Violet also got pretty picky about the top area when it was feeding time.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #35 
LittleBettaFish

I never had a pecking order in any of my sororities. I saw what I thought were quite dominant females regularly submit to females I assumed were lower on the totem pole. I think the hierarchy can be very fluid in sororities, and not necessarily mean that one fish is always in charge and one fish is always the whipping boy.

Also, sorry to hear you lost Eva.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #36 
Mankey

Yeah, finding Eva like that was pretty depressing... but it did seem like she was suffering and it's nice to know that she doesn't have to anymore. I had to get another betta that day so I could keep it at the safer amount of 5 bettas. Luckily all of my non-Violet betta fish appear to be peaceful to each other. There was a little bit of biting between the 2 reds when I first put them in, though. But now they all just leave each peacefully. Probably mostly because they don't have the time to fight when they're running away from an aggressive girl that's larger than them.