Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #1 
iloveshowdogs

Question about combining a male and female betta

I have a male betta that I have had for almost 2 years. He is currently in a 5 gallon tank. He used to share the tank with another betta (had a divider) for about over a year and a half. He now has the whole tank to himself. About a month I bought a "baby" betta from PetCo. I'm guessing the age is about 2 - 4 months old. I am 99.9% sure it is a female. She has a white spec on her belly which I am assuming is her egg spot. She also does not have very long fins. My question is can I put her with my male or would that be a bad idea? There are a lot of plants and there is a "cave" type decoration that I don't think the male can fit in to.
iloveshowdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:06 PM   #2 
JellOh

That would be a very bad idea. Male bettas should only be put with other bettas when they are breeding. You can put your divider back in and have a fish on each side, though.
JellOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #3 
Rana

Yeah, your best bet would be to divide the tank. Otherwise the two will almost certainly attack each other just like two males would, resulting in injury or death. With a secure divider there's very little chance that they'll bother each other, especially if they have enough plants & hiding places so they're not in each others sight all the time.
Rana is offline   Reply With Quote