Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #1 
Kim

Heat distribution without a filter?

Just wondering for the future; how well does heat distribute in an unfiltered tank? How do you keep cold spots from developing? For example, one time the filter in my 10 gal malfunctioned and I had to turn it off for the night. When I stuck my hand in the tank in the morning, the bottom was icy cold while the area around the heater was warm. I wouldn't do this for a 10 gal, but maybe a 5 gal...how evenly does that heat?

Thanks! I'm sure you can tell I've never had uncycled tanks, but I'm curious to this aspect in case I ever need to set one up in a hurry...plus I don't want any more noisy filters in my room should I need to rescue another betta sometime.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:03 PM   #2 
Kim

Oh c'mon, someone's gotta know whether their uncycled tank has cold spots or not! I know lots of you have uncycled tanks.

Oh, another question. Do critter keepers come in 5 gal size?
Old 08-12-2009, 06:54 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think critter keepers come in a 5 gallon size and larger. Fishyinpa uses the larger critter keeper type containers. As for your other question, I have heaters in 2 of my critter keepers and I think they stay pretty warm. I keep the thermometer directly across from the heater and if its set at 80, the thermometer usually says 78-79.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #4 
Kim

Ah, ok thanks. I think my problem was that it was a 10 gallon so the heater has a generally small surface space as compared to the entire tank. I just always wondered about that, and I may have to "experiment" with an uncycled tank sometime (aka- rescue another betta) if I am going to be working in a fish store so that I can be more knowledgeable in that area for the customers. Probably not any time soon though...I need to see how busy I will be anyway once everything starts up again in the fall. Right now I have so much time I could have tons of bettas...but I will resist because summer does end :(
Old 08-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, unfortunately. Where did the summer go anyway? lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:27 PM   #6 
fishyinpa

As for the 10 gallon,I actually had to get a 75w heater. My 50 didnt do squat. Had it turned all the way up too. Thats in Fishys cycled tank. Critter keepers,yeah I have a jumbo sized one lol. Its a 9.25 gallons. What ya see in stores though,largest is usually 4.5 to 5 gallons. HTH.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:25 AM   #7 
Kim

Yeah I figured the ones I see in the stores probably weren't bigger than 4.5 gallons or so. Thanks!