Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

What causes water to smell moldy?

I posted this in habitats and I am not getting replies. Maybe someone reading this section will know.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=196017
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 02:53 PM   #2 
waterdog

Smells can be caused by several factors, i.e. old water, dirty substrate, even certain plants.
More info is needed to help you, i.e. tank size, filtration, etc.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:47 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

This particular tank is not filtered. However, there are few other fish I have that don't like filters and there's no moldy smell. It's a 5 gallon tank.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #4 
waterdog

Unfiltered tanks can have smells more than filtered. If it were me, I would do a 100% water change, rinsing the gravel throughly, then put in at least a sponge filter and start the cycling process. This should eliminate the smells.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #5 
jadaBlu

I have one tank I keep a sponge filter in but I don't run it it doesn't smell bad and the fish is healthy. She hates the filter running. I've never asked anyone's opinion on that here. I have seen on other sites say you can put one in tank as a back up for a regular filter in the event of power failure and leave it sit there. Maybe I will do that for this fish it should still grow BB.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #6 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
. Maybe I will do that for this fish it should still grow BB.
Uh no! As the resident sponge filter expert, I can tell you that a sponge filter that isn't running is just an ornament.

Click the link in my signature to learn all about sponge filters.

The main thing is if your fish has a problem with a sponge filter it's usually because the air flow is too strong. A simple valve inserted into the air tubing allows you to adjust the rate to a level that isn't prohibitive.

I have sponge filters in everything from my 2.5 to my 5 to my 40. Used properly they are the best filtration for bettas!
Old 06-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

I reset up the tank. I am adding safe start and have added the filter. We will see how it goes.

I am starting to think about maybe it's a possibly disease related issue. All three fish purchased from this store at the same time have a black dusting itermmittently on their scales it's scant.I assumed was natural coloring but all are different types of fish. A plakat, veiltail and halfmoon.

They have all been subjected to the same bad husbandry by the staff at Petsmart. When I bought them two had moldy, smelly water. Two of the fish I'd been wanting and conditions were getting ridiculous. The third was tiny baby yellow female and I couldn't leave her.

So when I think about it the problem is continuing. Zippy has ended up with foul smelling nearly moldy water. Like I left in the morning and it was clear and by evening it was cloudy and foul. He got bloat which I managed to get rid of but he is still a little iffy. He is in a gallon critter carrier (still a baby) and in quarantine. He had regular water changes as well. However, twice I found the water foul when was not due for a change. I do 90-100% changes every two days for 1 gallons.

I may have to repost this elsewhere but I know you have lots fish. Have you ever seen a black dusting on any of your fish? I don't think it's velvet. Zippy isn't very active but the other two are fine.