Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Just thinking out loud. Feel free to add input

So...I really want a goldfish, specifically a long-bodied goldfish...a comet. I have wanted one for a very long time now. I only want one. Some people have said that goldfish need to be with other goldfish, but the mods on my goldfish forum say that there is no need to have more than one if you don't want to, and I know that they know a great deal about goldfish. Also, I will provide the goldfish with various forms of stimulation as well as my attention so he won't get bored.

So yeah I want to get one comet goldfish. I have tweaked my plans for him several times, but I think I know what setup I want for him...

I want to get a standard 75 gallon tank. Play sand as the substrate. I believe he should have something to sift through...some very large fake plant, maybe two...two aqueon 55/75 quietflow filters. They each are 400gph. I really want the Aquaclear 110's, but they are so ridiculously expensive that I will upgrade to those at a later time, if need be....not sure what I am going to feed him at first to make him grow, but besides his staple pellets I want to give him spinach or repashy soilent green, or both.

So yeah...sorry this is so long...just what I have been thinking...Let me know what you think if you want...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #2 
LizbethDawn

Having a whole 75 gallon with just one fish in it would get on my nerves lol I like variety if it's going to be a big tank. I've found keeping gold fish properly is beyond my patience.
It sounds like a plan though I wonder what the current would be like with those filters. Even my Aqueon quietflow for 20 gallons or less is pretty strong.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizbethDawn View Post
Having a whole 75 gallon with just one fish in it would get on my nerves lol I like variety if it's going to be a big tank. I've found keeping gold fish properly is beyond my patience.
It sounds like a plan though I wonder what the current would be like with those filters. Even my Aqueon quietflow for 20 gallons or less is pretty strong.
Thanks for the reply :)

Lol yeah one fish in a 75 gallon will look really stupid when the fish is still small, but I think it will look cool when he gets really big :)

I wonder about the current too /: but I think the fish will be able to handle it...at least I hope so. The outflow is wider though so I'm thinking it won't be SO harsh...
Old 06-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #4 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I would do fancies... You could have six in there, they look great, and seem really fun.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #5 
LizbethDawn

Baha Matt finds the alternative! Maybe when he's small you could just have one filter going and as he gets bigger try the second filter and you can always baffle them if it comes down to it.
LizbethDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

Yeah, I only want one goldfish though, and I want a comet...
Old 06-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #7 
thekoimaiden

I know you trust the mods on that goldfish forum, but after having kept goldfish alone I can tell you they do better with other goldfish. It's not a matter of getting bored like bettas; it's a matter of being able to interact with their own species like danio or rasbora. This is especially true when they are small and young. It's survival behavior that is hardwired into their brains. It's been scientifically proven that shoaling reduces predation risk. The fish is going to have a shoaling instincts.

Just throwing in my 2c here..
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #8 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I know you trust the mods on that goldfish forum, but after having kept goldfish alone I can tell you they do better with other goldfish. It's not a matter of getting bored like bettas; it's a matter of being able to interact with their own species like danio or rasbora. This is especially true when they are small and young. It's survival behavior that is hardwired into their brains. It's been scientifically proven that shoaling reduces predation risk. The fish is going to have a shoaling instincts.

Just throwing in my 2c here..
Hello, KM! And thank you for your input :) what do you think of my setup, anyway?

I may buy the goldfish when it is a bit bigger then, so he doesn't feel so vunerable alone...

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 06-09-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #9 
thekoimaiden

Your general setup sounds pretty good. Petsmart sells nice tall plants that are great for cover. I've also seen some fake plant goldfish aquascapes that were pretty neat like this one at PFK: How to get fancy with gold fish | Features | Practical Fishkeeping

I know AQ's are expensive, but they are worth it. Mine have given me great service. For the price of two you could get a decent canister, tho. Maybe look into upgrading to that instead of two AQ's. I'm getting the Rena XP3 for my goldfish tank later this year. It's rated for up to 175 gal and only costs about $120.

Another thing to think about is snails. There is no way I could get all the algae off the fake plant leaves without the help of my army of ramshorn and Malaysian trumpet snails. If you get the fish acclimated to snails when they are young, they don't voraciously eat them when the fish are large enough.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:12 AM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

I may just get some snails as well then!

You think I could go any smaller with the tank, or should I stick with the 75 gallon?

Also, I was looking into canister filters...do you think one of those would be better than power filters? I heard that instead of the x10gph you need with power filters, only x5 is needed with a canister filter. Is that true?