Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #1 
RoseyD

any luck mixing tetras with Bettas?

As many know - I have a sorority going - 5 VT bettas with 3 albino cories (& a snail) in a 20 gal. tank.

I am buying a tank from someone on CL - a 30 gal that is coming with fish - some of the fish are really not good choices for s 30 gal. tank and I'm considering to bring them to a pet store, maybe to trade for some live plants? - anyway - here are the fish that are coming - which should I keep and what should go?

- 1 bala shark - DEFINITELY MUST GO
(3" now but already described as being psycho)
- 8 neon tetras - 1" each
- 2 orange/black tetras - 1.5"
(I think they may be red minor serpae tetra?)
- 1 mystery orange/silver colored fish
(no further details so can't even research it)

Since I'm planning to turn the 30 gallon into another planted tank - I am thinking about whether I should keep any of these tetras or not - and if they can be (at least interim) kept with my betta girls tank.

The thirty gal. tank eventually, I would like to have for:
1 gold gourami (currently "2" - but can grow up to "6")
3 Boesemani Rainbows (can grow up to 4")
and whatever is kept from the above list if they too are compatible?

My 12 gal. is currently holding the gold gourami and 3 threadfin rainbows and can also be 'possibly?' used for temp holding - although it could be risky because the tank isn't cycled yet.

Advice much appreciated.
-thanks,
RoseyD
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 05:47 PM   #2 
RoseyD

thanks to a trip to petco looking for plants. as well as setting up 2 of the 2 g tanks thinking I wanted a boy... and maybe some cherry shrimp... yes I planted one of them.

I came back from Petco with 6 bettas. 3 small girls to add to the sorority. 1 IS A V. 2 are ct. very pretty.

and 3 boys. - 2 halfmoons and 1 king betta...

so the 2 tetra are going in the 12 g with the neons. the 30 gal will take the theadfins and the gourami girl and after a quarentine ... the king betta. ... fingers crossed that enough floaters will keep things peaceful...

anyone have luck making a king b into a community fish?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:47 AM   #3 
RoseyD

an update

The 30 gallon tank is full - and in some late part of the cycling process - the chemistry tests today showed 0 ammonia, but nitrite level of 1, and nitrates 5.

It now has two juvenile girl gouramis (pearl and gold), 7 threadfins, 2 boesemani, 7 neon tetras, 2 cardinal tetras, 1 mystery small fish who's fins had been destroyed by the last owners tanks' inhabitants.

I've been considering to introduce the king betta into lovely mix - he is very low key.

however, I am testing first to see how he would do with my other tank where there would be more 'inch' grow space for him. - The 12 gallon - also running to the end of its cycle - (0 ammonia, nitrites 2 (then did partial 30% water change) nitrates 5) - has an adult flame gourami and 2 long finned red minor serpae tetra. I decided last night to hang a breeder net on this 12 gallon, and put try to acclimate king Arthur, my king betta - to this tank. I moved his small cave into the net so that Arthur has a place to hide if he wants to ... he's very shy and loves his cave (even when he was alone in the 2 gal.)

Results thus far - the Serpae tetra don't care less. They're still hanging together and fluttering around, like butterflies more than fish. The first half hour or so of the hanging 'nest' - the Flame gourami was a bit more aggressive with the tetra - chasing them away when they entered his 'corner' or swam in his path. But then he got more courageous and swam up to the net to look in...

He is very curious about Arthur. He circles the net, and I've seen him tasting 'nipping' at it ... But king arthur doesn't seem much concerned. He spent some time in his cave, and some time swimming around outside of it. No noticable flairing - no irregular breathing or showing of fear either.

I'm thinking to give the net a few days to continue acclimating the flame gourami to the idea of sharing the tank - but Arthur really seems unconcerned with the others. (maybe this will change when he's swimming with them?)

I'm liking more and more, the idea of having Arthur in the 12 gallon, so I hope that the Flame gourami will settle down and that they'll become friends.

I'll keep you all posted.

-RoseyD
Old 08-14-2009, 12:36 AM   #4 
TaraHanon

I had my male betta in with a bunch of neon tetras and they got a long great. Most people here say that it depends on the Betta's personality too. Which is quite true. I've never had any problems though mixing my betta with other tropical fish. And your orange/silver mystery fish sounds like it could be a white cloud mountain minnow... I have a few of them in my tank. They're pretty mellow.
Hope all your tanks work out and your new guys/gals sound beautiful!
TaraHanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #5 
RoseyD

Happy endings! Good tidings for all!

I was really surprised by how easy it was for my king to acclimate with all the other fish. Such an easy going fellow!

There's a happy ending in the works; but it definitely took some effort to get there.

The 12 gallon test did not succeed. My king betta was perfectly happy with the other inhabitants, and I had brought in his cave, and added a lot more fake plants to change the scenery- but it was the flame gourami male that jinxed the happy home idea - when he went into attack mode both times he swam into range of the betta.

And my poor Arthur, each time, made a hasty retreat. So I put the plastic cup into the tank and Arthur swam right into it! That's how happy he was to be leaving the 12 gallon.

The happy ending is that I next took him to the big tank - I'd spent a few hours before that to finish planting the 30 gallon with the clippings that had just arrived in the mail. I brought Arthur's cave and put it at the bottom beside several of the other caves there. And, after a little while of having the other fish checking out the cup and the smaller fish not even bothering to check it out... I released him ... He, at first, didn't want to leave the cup.

But I gave him a minute or so and a little bit of pushing, and he made his way into the tank and all the activity. He discovered the floating plants and hid for a bit. He swam to the bottom and was very shyly hugging to the sides of the buddha head, and the other caves, trying to stay hidden...

He didn't like it when my Goldie (girl juv. gourami) came over with her feelers, but she was not aggressive with him, and didn't pester him too much. He got a similar 'meeting' from Pearl and her feelers - and then they left him alone - It was at least 2 hours before he felt comfortable to swim fully around the tank without 'looking' over his shoulder.

I went to bed at 2:30 last night, and he was enjoying the space by that point. And this am when I checked on him he was swimming, swimming, swimming around the tank, figure 8's, playing in the current from the filter, and the lower power-head - seeming to really enjoy himself. Occasionally, he crossed paths with the gouramis and was already acting relaxed with them. And, the Pearl was interested enough in his 'tactics' that she spent some time imitating him and his mirror/glass shimmies. :)

Success! A happy home for King Betta with a Gold and Pearl Gouramis (Girls), 2 Boesemani rainbows (boy/girl), 7 threadfin Rainbows, 7 Neon Tetras, 2 Cardinal Tetras, 3 Albino Cories, and 1 mystery livebearer (I'm really thinking it's an endler).

I may need to make space in the tank as some of the inhabitants grow to their more adult sizes. In a few months I'll consider moving the tetras into the 12 gallon tank with the Meany Flame gourami and Serpaes. But for now - what an exciting community tank! Such a pleasure to watch them all. :)

All's well that ends well.

Last edited by RoseyD; 08-14-2009 at 08:36 AM.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #6 
Shawtee

haha thats dead cute, i only have a 30 L tank but i have a dwarf puffer and a gawjus Betta called eskiminzi, currently theres 3 widow tetras or w/e and um a cory but i dunno wether i should put anything else in, i want to get rid of the three widdow fish... there so annoying, amnd ugly,... and ones ill... x
Shawtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #7 
5green

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawtee View Post
haha thats dead cute, i only have a 30 L tank but i have a dwarf puffer and a gawjus Betta called eskiminzi, currently theres 3 widow tetras or w/e and um a cory but i dunno wether i should put anything else in, i want to get rid of the three widdow fish... there so annoying, amnd ugly,... and ones ill... x
aww poor widdow fish
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #8 
RoseyD

yes poor fish...

research before you add more. puffers arent supposed to be community fish... are they?

cories shouldnt be kept as single fish.

tetras... ugly or not... deserve to live and be happy. if you dont like them you can always find them a new home.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #9 
luvmybettas63

My experience with tetras and betta were they kept nipping at the bettas tails and tearing it too shreads. I had to remove my betta from the tank. Good luck Rosie
luvmybettas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #10 
luvmybettas63

Rosie, can you tell how to tell if the bettas are boys or girls? I feel silly for asking. LOL.
luvmybettas63 is offline   Reply With Quote