Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2013, 06:08 AM   #1 
TeacherTeapot

Getting a Pleco

My LPS has an albino rubbernosed pleco right now, that I was considering getting to help clean up Beau's tank. He's currently in a 5-gal all by himself, and is still searching for the goldfish who used to be in the tank next to him. (I gave them away around a month ago!) I've toyed around with the idea of getting him a tankmate for a while, but the algae growth on his cave and tunnel in the past week (between water changes) is kind of prompting action.

I was hoping you guys could help me out, all I know about this kind of pleco is that they stay fairly small, and you feed them algae wafers. But are they fairly compatible with Bettas, and what brand of food would you recommend?
TeacherTeapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Have you looked them up online? From what I'm seeing they get up to 5" which IMO is not small & the suggested tank size is a minimum of 20g. You may want to do some research to make sure meeting the needs of an adult pleco. If your Betta is in a 20g then I'd move the Pleco.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #3 
GailC

Any pleco will get too big for a 5 gallon tank and they can be quite active, sometimes even aggressive. I have a dwarf bristle nose in my community tank, he is just a tad over 2 inches and he can be a nightmare.
He plays basketball with the bigger snails and chases all the fish relentlessly. I put him in my 10 gallon for 2 days to clean up a brown algae bloom and he harassed my betta so bad during that time that the poor guy tor his fins up and chewed on his own tail.
I like my pleco but in my opinion, not a good tank mate for betta. Try 3 otto cats if you can find healthy ones and keep them fed with blanched zucchini.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #4 
TeacherTeapot

I always though that ottos got even bigger than rubber nosed plecos. And everything I've read says to keep them in 20+ gallons, I don't have room for a tank that large. I live in a very small apartment. I've thought about snails and ADFs before, but they tend to be escape artists from what I've heard. Also, I was reading that ottos need lots of surface agitation to increase oxygen exchange, my betta really hates bubblers.

Also I do not have a planted tank, I've considered it, but catching Beau when it's time for water changes or severe weather is hard enough as is. (He's neurotic and panics at the sight of the net, I'm attempting to train him for hand catching)

Last edited by TeacherTeapot; 06-09-2013 at 12:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherTeapot View Post
I always though that ottos got even bigger than rubber nosed plecos. And everything I've read says to keep them in 20+ gallons, I don't have room for a tank that large. I live in a very small apartment. I've thought about snails and ADFs before, but they tend to be escape artists from what I've heard. Also, I was reading that ottos need lots of surface agitation to increase oxygen exchange, my betta really hates bubblers.

Also I do not have a planted tank, I've considered it, but catching Beau when it's time for water changes or severe weather is hard enough as is. (He's neurotic and panics at the sight of the net, I'm attempting to train him for hand catching)
You remove your Betta when doing water changes? is there any particular reason why? the only time I remove a Betta is when I do a 100% water change on a small unfiltered tank. Also I don't use a net to remove him, just a plastic cup. If you have a long finned male, his fins can actually be damaged by netting him. My 5g & larger tanks have filters so I do weekly ~50% water changes, no need to remove the fish or snails. I have mystery & nerite snails, the ONLY time I've had trouble with an escape is when I've had 2 mystery snails in the same tank or it was female looking to lay eggs & there wasn't enough room above the water line. I'm not sure where you're getting your info but Otos don't get big, they average about 2" from my understanding but I wouldn't put multiple fish in a 5g because there is less room for them to hide from each other. Here is an Oto website that might help http://www.otocinclus.com/intro.html
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:47 PM   #6 
TeacherTeapot

Once a month I take him out so I can do a 100% and clean his substrate out. He won't cup, or I would do that. Like I said, I'm attempting to train him to swim into my hand. (does it in a cup, not in the tank) He would have long fins, but he's stressing out that he can't find the goldfish and keeps eating his tail down to practically nothing.

Admittedly, my information has come from what others have said, both about snails and ottos, having done some more research and spoken to the "fish expert" at my LPS I admit that I was wrong.

As to room to hide from each other, I was planning on getting a piece of driftwood with lots of hiding spots and escape routes tomorrow at another LPS. I don't really have plans to get the clean up crew until maybe sometime next week. And then only if I can get the driftwood properly squared away.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #7 
Nicci Lu

A five gallon is too small for any other fish except your betta. Your choices would be a shrimp or snail. For algae cleanup, Amano shrimp are great- they eat nearly every type algae and they are big enough that most bettas won't make him dinner. Nerite snails are another great algae eater. With a tank that size, just make sure you have lots of cover for your betta's companion so he isn't tempted to harass them.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #8 
RussellTheShihTzu

+1 And introducing them when the tank lights are off also helps. Especially if you have to float them.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote