Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #1 
cowboy

Lighting

Hi Guys,

I have a two gallon fluval spec. I generally turn my light on while I'm gettting ready for work than turn it off until I get home from work. I turn it on and off when I go to sleep. I thought this was adequate for sushi and his plants but the aquarium store said the lights had to remain on for at least 8 hrs. Is he right?

In the tank there's one betta, sword fern, java fern and an Anubis.

Can you tell me the min/max requirements? Thanks!
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yup, needs to be a minimum of an 8 hour photoperiod for your live plants. That's generally what they naturally get outside, one hour of less intense light on each side of the 8 hour period for sunrise/sunset.

I have all my lights on timers so they turn on at 8 am and turn off at 8pm which has worked great for them.

As far as lighting reqs. your amazon sword needs medium to high light, the java fern and the anubias are both low light plants so they can survive in anything. For lighting requirements, 6,500K (Kelvin) is closest to real sunlight. I believe medium light is around that setting and high lighting is anything over 7,000 Kelvins I believe. So you'll have to look at your lights to see what they are and if your Sword can survive it. They can grow in lower light settings its just extremely slow and there will probably be more die-off than growth is all
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #3 
cowboy

Great idea, I'll look at getting a timer.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:29 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Oh yes, I love my timers lol I'm pretty sure half of my plants wouldn't be there if it weren't for them! It helps since I'm not at that particular house 3 days out of the week so no one would be there to turn them on and off so that was the main reason, but it's so nice even when I am there because I don't have to worry about it ^_^
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote