Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-16-2009, 10:58 PM   #1 
puppyrjjkm

Do bettas mind....?

So I really don't need another tank! :) But I am curious... I would like to pick up a 10 gallon tank (just tank). I want to use this for breeding bettas in the future, so could I leave it bare bottomed even if I house my male in it?

I mean would he really care either way? I would just use a small filter (that came with my 1.5 gal) and do water changes weekly. What do you guys think? I mean gravel isn't too expensive... but just trying to spend as little $ as possible!! Oh and I am going to use a glass lid. Thanks!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

OOOH a future spawner :P Bettas could care less. Also-don't get is ready for breeding and then introduce the female-he could kill her because it's his territory.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #3 
Kim

Just an experience I thought I'd share.

When I brought Cassanova home I QT'd him in a tank with a bare bottom and one plant for a few weeks before introducing him into my divided 5 gal. When I put him in there with the gravel and many more silk plants he brightened up immediately...it was like he was a different fish! Both tanks had the same water parameters, were cycled, and were the same size. I just think he felt more secure with the gravel and more decorations.

For breeding you don't want gravel though because the eggs may fall into it before the male can pick them up.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #4 
puppyrjjkm

Thanks guys. And good tip MrVampire. Probably when I get to that point I would condition him in a smaller tank before breeding, although I probably won't breed until next summer so I won't be swamped with school. Thanks!
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:56 AM   #5 
Kim

I might breed next summer too! I was going to try for this summer but life got in the way :P
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote