Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #1 
Canis

Thinking of Switching Gravel for Soil

I was thinking of switching my gravel out for some soil instead, but I would like to know if I can get some answers to my questions first. Thanks in advance!

1) Would it mini-cycle my tank if I took out all of that gravel? I'm not sure if my minimal amount of plants would be able to keep up with that (3 java ferns, 1 wisteria, 2 monyworts with a ton of roots across the top of the water, anarchis, and 2 other plants that grew from pods that I got at walmart and can't remember the name of.

2) How long until I can put my fish back in?

3) Is a sand cap absolutely necessary?

The tank is 10 gallons and stocked with one betta and four guppies. Two sponge filters.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 11:43 AM   #2 
Canis

The plant bulbs were aponogeton
Old 06-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #3 
Canis

I have subwassertang and guppy grass coming today or tomorrow as well, and I have miracle grow organic potting mix. I have done some more research, and I will be getting some black sand when I have the money.
My only question now would be, do I have enough plants so that I can put the fish right back in without upsetting my tank?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #4 
VJM

I think it is wise to be cautious in this situation. Lots of your BB were in the gravel.

Could you put the gravel in bags made from pantyhose and leave it in the tank for a few weeks? That would help a lot. You could put the fish back in, and then just test your water every day to make sure all is well.

One thing I have learned about Miracle Gro, is to sift it before you put it in the tank. Otherwise, you will have pieces of wood cluttering up the place forever.
VJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:31 AM   #5 
Canis

I can try that with the gravel. And I plan to do a lot of sifting, I'll only be putting the finer stuff in ^^
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #6 
OrangeAugust

to answer your third question, a sand cap is not necessary, but it looks a lot nicer. My tank is soil-based with a sand cap, but the right side of my tank keeps "exploding" with bubbles. But a lot the soil has come through the sand and is sitting on top of the sand. At the beginning it made the water REALLY messy, but now that it's water-logged enough, it doesn't cloud the water for very long when it gets disturbed. But it looks messy because there are wood chips littering the top, and it also drifted over on top of the white sand in the other part of the tank, and I'm always having to brush it off my plant leaves. I kind of wish I used only sand, or put a much thicker sand cap on it.
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #7 
Canis

I'll use a black sand cap, and sift the chips and stuff out ahead of time. Thanks!