Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #1 
inactiat

Sixth Sick Betta, Please Help

It's been exactly a week since the last girl was sick, and exactly a week for the one before that. The other were sick a month before that and the disease acted in the same manner. I've sought help elsewhere, but no one seems to have any idea what the issue is. What the heck is going on?

Symptoms:
  • Lethargic.
  • Still ate this morning.
  • Sits at the bottom of the tank.
  • Appears to be "gasping" and breathing heavily.
  • No outward signs of illness, parasites, open sores, or wounds on her body.
  • The other female betta on the other side of the divider is perfectly healthy, active, and fine. However, she is the sixth fish from the same tank to display these symptoms. My other two betta tanks are not having these issues.
  • Picture before she was moved to QT.
Tank Setup:

• * Divided ten gallon, filtered.
  • 80 Degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Nitrate: Between 0-5 ppm
  • Nitrite: 0 ppm
  • Total Hardness: Around 85 ppm
  • Alkalinity: Around 90 ppm
  • PH: Around 7.2
  • Ammonia: Less than 0.02 ppm
  • Has only been treated with stress coat throughout the week, and a little aq. salt when the symptoms began appearing.
  • Picture of the setup.

Thank you for your time. These symptoms appear and kill within 24 hours of appearing. Any help you could give, I would be grateful for.
inactiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #2 
inactiat

I apologize for the double post, but I seem unable to find the edit button. My apologies if I just missed it.

After posting this message, I went to check on her again. She had already passed. If anyone has any information about what is going on, it would still be helpful. There is still one surviving female betta from that tank. While she is currently acting healthy and active, I know that those do not rule out her having the same disease, illness, or whatever that killed the other ones.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Sorry to hear she passed. Unfortunately I cannot offer you any good advice.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:01 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

So it's always the same tank location that's affected? And this has happened 6 times? (But all the other fish are OK, including the one that's on the other side of the divider.)

Is the divider solid, or mesh?

If it's solid: this could indicate a potential toxin on the side of the affected fish. You may need to clean out this half of the tank, and remove anything that could be causing/leeching toxins.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #5 
inactiat

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
So it's always the same tank location that's affected? And this has happened 6 times? (But all the other fish are OK, including the one that's on the other side of the divider.)

Is the divider solid, or mesh?

If it's solid: this could indicate a potential toxin on the side of the affected fish. You may need to clean out this half of the tank, and remove anything that could be causing/leeching toxins.
Yes, it's always the same tank, however, the divider is only a recent addition out of necessity. These symptoms and deaths happened way before the divider(s). It used to be a sorority tank. However, once their numbers were whittled down to three, I separated them. It's a mesh Top Fin divider, luckily thick enough you can't see much more than you could with the DIY solid ones.

I am not placing anymore fish even near that tank until I figure out what is going on. :( If Bessie (the last, remaining girl) passes, I think I'm going to get rid of all the hard decorations, substrate, and thoroughly clean the tank. Just start everything, including the cycle, over.

Tags
disease, sick