Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #11 
Skyewillow

Are "Dainties" the same as Pygmy cories?

Also, are those "koi" angels? They're cute.

I used to buy duckweed as a treat for our goldfish, you're might like it too, and I'm hoping you can get your indoor pond set up when you move, I'd love to see it (I'm eventually planning one myself).
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #12 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No Dainty/Dwarf Cory's are Corydoras Habrosus while pygmies are Corydoras Pygmeaus, two different species ^_^ Habrosus are actually smaller than Pygmeaus at 1 inch vs. 1.5-2 inches.

I wish I could have an indoor pond as well! We have our larger pond in the back filled with comets. We started with three, one orange, one black and one white and now have over 150+ in there! It's crazy awesome.

And yes my friend keeps their goldfish at 80 degree's constantly and they're just fine, I feel that it is the same with most cold water things, they can be acclimated to hotter temps just fine. Like Anacharis is a cold water plant but we keep it in hotter water temps all the time, don't see where it would be much different

I wish you luck with your 55, it sounds like it's going to be an awesome tank! I'm pretty jealous too.

(I had to sneak in my 33 as well haha)
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #13 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
No Dainty/Dwarf Cory's are Corydoras Habrosus while pygmies are Corydoras Pygmeaus, two different species ^_^ Habrosus are actually smaller than Pygmeaus at 1 inch vs. 1.5-2 inches.
You know, Mike picked up a weird looking "pygmy" cory, and now that I've looked up the Habrosus, that's what it was! You're awesome, LilNinja!
Old 06-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #14 
jennesque

The fish are not continually exposed to 80 degree or even 70 degree temps. Goldfish can survive with ice over the water..

That's great that he does keep large shoals of cories, the more the merrier, so long as the tank is not over stock.

As for the 55gal, that tank is nearly three times as much water volume as yours, but also provides a much larger footprint than your tank. As long as those aren't common plecos, a 55gal has room for a cory shoal or two, some small plecos, and a whiptail. Your tank is not that big. You could probably get away with a small cory shoal and a small pleco with some other fish, but not goldfish and angels. They're too large of fish for the tank at all.

You say your fish grow fine, your goldfish, if full grown, should be like the size of a softball. Are they? Or are they stunted? They may be newer additions so I'm not sure on that.. But if they're a year or two old and are in a well maintained tank that is larger enough for them to appropriately grow, they should be much larger than your fist. Angelfish can and easily will grow to be six inches long and eight inches tall. And they will reach that size in maybe 6-8 months, perhaps a bit longer but not much longer than that.

And temperature requirements have nothing to do with their 'preference', it's something vital to their survival. Rams will live much shorter lives in less than 80 degree water (really, more like 82). Fish like your cories will have a sped up metabolism which will cause an early demise, and this will be even greater so in your coldwater goldfish. They simply cannot maintain prolonged exposures to temperatures that are not even close to what is required for them to survive. There are typically wide ranges of temperatures fish can survive in, but you can't expect them to live long constantly exposed to it.

You shouldn't overstock a small tank based on plans to upgrade later unless you know for 100% certaintly, that you will be upgrading before these fish even reach anything close to their full grown potential. It's negligent. Many people on the fish forums are usually here because we genuinely care about fish keeping... People join to get opinions and do research on the appropriate care. If something sticks out as an issue based on scientific study, not opinion on the fish's 'preference', we will tell you. What I am telling you isn't my opinion. I will admit I do not and have not owned many of these fish myself. Because they are not compatible with my other fish, nor are they compatible with my source water.
jennesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:28 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennesque View Post
You say your fish grow fine, your goldfish, if full grown, should be like the size of a softball. Are they? Or are they stunted? They may be newer additions so I'm not sure on that.. But if they're a year or two old and are in a well maintained tank that is larger enough for them to appropriately grow, they should be much larger than your fist. Angelfish can and easily will grow to be six inches long and eight inches tall. And they will reach that size in maybe 6-8 months, perhaps a bit longer but not much longer than that.
I would like to point out once more that she is upgrading the goldfish and the angels to the 55. Meaning they aren't going to be in the 20 for much longer. They're perfectly fine to use as a growout tank and that seems to what she is doing. No need to continue that point when it's already been pointed at a few times already.

@Skye lol that's really funny XD strange looking pygmy. Yeah often they are also labeled "Pgymy Cory" at LFS's but they're wrong XD
Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 PM   #16 
Skyewillow

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
@Skye lol that's really funny XD strange looking pygmy. Yeah often they are also labeled "Pgymy Cory" at LFS's but they're wrong XD
it looked like a weirdly marked pygmy, and was about the same size as our male pygmies. So that's what we thought it was, I've never heard of Dainties before! lol

he was just talking about it last night, that he wanted more like that one.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:35 PM   #17 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
it looked like a weirdly marked pygmy, and was about the same size as our male pygmies. So that's what we thought it was, I've never heard of Dainties before! lol

he was just talking about it last night, that he wanted more like that one.
Ahh cute! Yeah they are the cutest things ever! You should totally get like 5 more of them haha I got mine on a sale for 1 dollar which was amazing so I happily got 6 for my 33
Old 06-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #18 
Skyewillow

ours didn't make it, but once I can find a group, we'll probably be getting some
Old 06-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #19 
djembekah

There still won't be room in the 55 for those fish imo. I'm also not sure what was expected when such a poorly stocked tank was posted publicly.

I am aware that its your tank and its ultimately your decision hoe to take care of it. just know that the majority of experienced fish keepers are going to tell you what you're doing is very dangerous to the wellbeing of the living creatures in your care.
and with that I'm out. good luck
Posted via Mobile Device
djembekah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #20 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Her upgrading to a 55g (which will still be overstocked) is not going to fix temperature issues, or the fact that the fish she is keeping together are incompatible. It will make it a bit better, sure, but there is still plenty wrong.

Jennesque is correct and has posted some very valid information. Fish are genetically designed to live in a certain range of temperatures, and while they may appear to be adaptable, keeping fish out of their correct temperature range is less than ideal, as any experienced betta keeper would know.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote