Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #21 
LittleBlueFishlets

He should stay in the Epsom salt treated water for up to 10-14 days.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:27 AM   #22 
Penguinlove1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlueFishlets View Post
He should stay in the Epsom salt treated water for up to 10-14 days.
okay, will do.
Penguinlove1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #23 
Penguinlove1013

Exclamation He has gotten worse!

He started recovering, swimming, eating and color coming back. I go to check on him about 20 mins ago and he is worse than before!! I am suppose to change the epsom salt water today. What do I do now?? Is it hopeless to try and save him? He is blotchy with red and white spots, something is wrong with his eye, he is losing color again. [ATTACH][ATTACH]Name:  IMG_0676.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  33.5 KB[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2013, 08:12 PM   #24 
logisticsguy

Do his scales look raised? Pine coned?
logisticsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #25 
Penguinlove1013

No, it doesnt look like pine cone at all (from the pictures Ive seen on the web).... his scales aren't raised either.

I did a 100% change and disinfected everything with bleach. I feel so horrible for him. He looks completely pathetic and in pain. Do you think I should put him back into his tank or leave him quarantined with some more epsom salt?

Close up of his face
Name:  IMG_0703.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  25.5 KB
Old 06-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #26 
Hadoken Kitty

Omg. It looks like his face is totally swollen.....Keep him quarantined.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #27 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Doing constant 100% changes does way more harm then good. You will have ruined your cycle which only causes more stress.

He's swollen... Keep him in Epsom salts. I would be doing 50% water changes every second day (pristine water quality is crucial when they are sick).
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 PM   #28 
LittleBlueFishlets

What dosage of Epsom salt are you using? Keep him quarantined -- we don't know yet if he's dealing with something infectious or not.

I would start to increase the dosage up to 3 teaspoons Epsom salt. The procedure below is based on OFL's recommendation for doing this:
  1. Add 3 teaspoons Epsom salt to one gal of water. (The water should be the same temp as his tank temp.)
  2. Add the correct amount of conditioner.
  3. Stir/shake until the Epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  4. Using this premixed treatment water, make 25% water changes every 15 min for 1 hour today.
  5. Tomorrow, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.
  6. Then, every other day for 10-14 days, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.

Also, have you covered the top of the tank with plastic wrap? (Saran, Glad, etc. Any plastic wrap will do.) As mentioned previously, this will increase humidity levels in the tank, and help him breathe more easily.

Can you post a few more photos of him? It might be helpful to see a side view, and an overhead view. This would allow us to determine whether his whole body is swollen, in addition to his face.

If the 3 tsp Epsom salt/gal dosage doesn't work quickly, I would consider adding an antibiotic. It'll need to be something that acts both internally or externally. Kanaplex (Kanamycin) would be ideal. It's available at some high-end fish stores, or online.

(If you can't get Kanaplex, you can try tetracycline. For tetracycline: You'll need to add it to his water and also soak his food in it.)

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-11-2013 at 10:49 PM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:35 PM   #29 
Penguinlove1013

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebluefishlets View Post
what dosage of epsom salt are you using? Keep him quarantined -- we don't know yet if he's dealing with something infectious or not.

I would start to increase the dosage up to 3 teaspoons epsom salt. The procedure below is based on ofl's recommendation for doing this:
  1. add 3 teaspoons epsom salt to one gal of water. (the water should be the same temp as his tank temp.)
  2. add the correct amount of conditioner.
  3. stir/shake until the epsom salt is completely dissolved.
  4. using this premixed treatment water, make 25% water changes every 15 min for 1 hour today.
  5. tomorrow, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.
  6. then, every other day for 10-14 days, do a 50% water change using this premixed treatment water.

also, have you covered the top of the tank with plastic wrap? (saran, glad, etc. Any plastic wrap will do.) as mentioned previously, this will increase humidity levels in the tank, and help him breathe more easily.

Can you post a few more photos of him? It might be helpful to see a side view, and an overhead view. This would allow us to determine whether his whole body is swollen, in addition to his face.

If the 3 tsp epsom salt/gal dosage doesn't work quickly, i would consider adding an antibiotic. It'll need to be something that acts both internally or externally. Kanaplex (kanamycin) would be ideal. It's available at some high-end fish stores, or online.

(if you can't get kanaplex, you can try tetracycline. For tetracycline: You'll need to add it to his water and also soak his food in it.)
Okay, I have him in a one gallon container quarantined. So I put 3 teaspoons of ES in that completely dissolved, then in 15 minuets change 25% of the water with another 3 teaspoons of ES mixture? Im slightly confused on that. I do not have him covered with plastic wrap, have to pick some up.

Name:  IMG_0691.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  51.6 KBName:  IMG_0701.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  25.3 KB
Old 06-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #30 
Hadoken Kitty

No no no. Mix in 3 tsp of ES into water + conditioner in a container other than the QT. Then, every 15 minutes you need to take a little out of the QT bowl and add that mixture in.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
constipation, sick betta, swim bladder disease