Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #201 
Lights106

:/ I swore I was done buying tanks. Now I'm wanting one of these.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #202 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterfun View Post
correction, 1 week without WC, so I'd recommend 1x50% and 1x100% each week.
Thank you :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #203 
aecraig

My spec is new and cycling with my fish in it. How often do you recommend changing out water? I've been taking out one gallon (and replacing) every other day or so. I don't have a test kit so I'm not sure if every two days is enough or not!

edit: btw I have the 2.6 gallon spec!

Last edited by aecraig; 06-10-2013 at 07:00 PM.
aecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #204 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by aecraig View Post
My spec is new and cycling with my fish in it. How often do you recommend changing out water? I've been taking out one gallon (and replacing) every other day or so. I don't have a test kit so I'm not sure if every two days is enough or not!

edit: btw I have the 2.6 gallon spec!
if this is your first and only tank, then I'd get a test kit ot monitor the ammonia and nitrite. having plants will help with the absorption of ammonia, but it will also slow down the build up of BB, hence a longer time to cycle.

Only change water when it hits .25 Ammonia or Nitrite. But when you get to the point where you have 0 ammonia but has nitrites and nitrate, a common mistake is to change water as soon as the nitrite hits .25 and disrupted the cycle by having too many water changes. For a while i was paranoid and changed water 50%WC twice a day. I was told to chill alnd let it sit a day or two with my SPEC V. Actually the happens when the cycle approaches its final phase. So it will be fully cycled if you can maintain 0 ammonia, nitrite and below 40 nitrate. Mine took about 60 days wuth the SPEC V. After that, I pulled out the carbon filter bag and stick in an extra Biomax bag in anticipation of getting another SPEC. So the "seeding took 2 weeks". When I put the seeded Biomax in the new SPEC III, it went up and running right away.

HTH.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #205 
Aconyte

I have a question about heating the Fluval Spec 5. I picked up the Top Fin 7.5 watt submersible heater which is supposed to heat automatically and this does not have a dial to change the temperature. Thing is is that my tank is still pretty cold. My betta seems happy and active enough, but I'm wondering if I should move the heater (it's currently in the little compartment with the pump) or if I should take it back for something more powerful?
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:26 PM   #206 
PeninaD

7.5 watts is not enough to heat a 5 gallon tank.
Often 25 watts is recommended, unless you need to heat 5 or more degrees above room temperature (such as long cold winters where your fish room barely gets to 69), you would go with a 50 watt heater.
PeninaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #207 
BasilBetta87

5 watts per gallon for heaters so its probably trying but it isn't powerful enough to heat the tank properly. I run a Marina c10 in my Fluval Spec 2 gal and it keeps it a steady 78.1 degrees.
BasilBetta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #208 
aecraig

Do any of y'all that have baffled the filter output have trouble with it being too hot in the back compartment (I have condensation) and not warm enough in the front (76 compared to ideally 80)? I have a sponge in the output nozzle and my heat isn't circulating as it should.
aecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #209 
PeninaD

I have tried a few variations, not really sure that I have the optimal circulation in my SpecV (with the filter block mounted on the outflow)....for those using the stock outflow, how do you orient it? Vertical or horizontal (or even diagonal?) Against the glass or toward the middle of the tank? Up so it almost bubbles up above water level to fall down, or toward the floor of the tank?
PeninaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 05:21 PM   #210 
Aconyte

I popped the nozzle off and zip tied a Fluval Edge pre filter sponge around it. Perfectly baffled the outflow. Before, my betta was being buffeted all around the tank, but now he chills wherever he wants
Aconyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, fluval, nano, planted, spec