Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
Breed? You mean variation? Because they are all the same breed.
I bred butterflies as well! I am trying to make very clean colors with butterfly rims on giants. I think it makes a flashy fish and therefore something I can readily find homes for. I do not have the type of water it takes for good quality crown tails and I don't care for VT's or DT's. I do like spade tails, delta tails and halfmoons.
Is this your goal? If it is, you will need at least 3 - 4 20g for growout alone (probably more). Sellect and separate every month.

Yellow? . . . that's a hard color to work with. Not saying you shouldn't, but working with yellow means working with at least 2 other colors (red, cambodian). If you like dragons, I'd suggest yellow dragon BF HM. You will get more yellow compared to regular scales. . . . but this means working with more colors.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #12 
Ilikebutterflies

Oh, I already have all the tanks and supplies I need. The OP was asking abt what they would need just to start on a budget. I was successful last year with my two pairs of giants thanks to the support I got here. I was trying out different methods, tanks, fry food, etc. I like to do it in as few steps as possible. I had success using a divided 29gal. My favorite spawning method ended up being using a two gallon feed bucket full of duckweed then dumping the contents into heavily planted tanks.
I'm looking for two more pairs this summer.
I now have a 200 gallon grow out tank that I can't wait to try as well as a heavily planted pond.

Last edited by Ilikebutterflies; 06-12-2013 at 12:47 PM.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #13 
bniebetta

Basically it depends on who is buying and what quality you are breeding. If you want to sell on aquabid, sell what is popular unless you have a KILLER line or the less popular variations. Right now, HM and HMPK are the most popular. If you are selling to local vendors/pet stores, you will probably want to go with VT, CT, or HM and may not have as much luck with PK. Even if you decide to use pet store bettas to breed, make sure they are the best ones you can find so the babies will be able to get homes :)
bniebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #14 
lillyandquigly

There's this Hm at the petstore I'm trying to get my mm to let me buy, he's very beautiful, but I didn't get a good look at form. If I find a really nice male I might breed him with a nice AB female. By the time I'm ready I might have changed my 55 gallon into the growout, it will be heavily planted
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #15 
lillyandquigly

What would happen if I bred an HM male with a hmpk female? Would it be fifty fifty? Or would the male's genes take over?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:26 PM   #16 
trilobite

Both parents give 50% of their genes to the offspring.
HMPK x HM = all longfin unless the HM is carrying the shortfin gene because short fin is recessive.
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #17 
lillyandquigly

If I did Hm (male) x Pk (female would I get 50% HMpk's and 50% Hm's?
Old 06-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #18 
trilobite

Nope.
Normal pk is just a short finned vt so youd get results similar to hm x vt unless your hm is also carrying pk.
Youd get all longfinned deltas, vts and maybe some super deltas if youre lucky. Most likely all will haverounded tails
If the hm was carrying the pk gene then you would get some pks back that may have 4 ray branching or more but their tails will still be too rounded to call them hmpk and too much branching to call them traditional pk...essentially a mutt called transitional pk between pk and hmpk
Old 06-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #19 
lillyandquigly

How do you get HMPK? The first breed I want to breed if/when I breed is Halfmoons. Eventually I'd like to work on a Halfmoon Plakat line
Old 06-12-2013, 07:56 PM   #20 
trilobite

You can do it with a hm x pk but it takes a lot of time to get them to a nice looking hmpk. My fish are the result of an initial hm x pk cross, Im up to the 3rd generation and still have to get rid of the round tails, ugly colours and weak bodies from the trad pk lol. But its an uber fun project if youve got time and patience then definitely go for it .
The easiest way to get hmpk is to buy a pair of them. Or you could cross 2 hms that are carrying the pk gene or you could cross a hmpk x hm. That way in F2 youd get some nice hmpk back (maybe even F1 if your hm is carrying pk)