Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #11 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The more plants the better for a Silent Cycle. But fast growers are what you want to soak up the ammonia.

Fast, low light plants:
Anacharis, Water Sprite, Rotala, Ludwigia, Cabomda, Hornwort, Moneywort, Java Moss and water wisteria.

But in addition to some fast growers, some slow growers are great too so your tank doesn't become a jungle (although I love the jungle look lol)

Slower, low lights:
Anubias and Java Ferns (Windlov, needleleaf, broadleaf and lace)

So in total you probably want about 10-15 plants in there ideally but it will work with about 8-10. Water wisteria is probably the fastest growing plant you can get along with Anacharis although you probably won't be able to find that everywhere.

You also have to realize that if you buy the plants in the tubes at Petco/Petsmart they will generally "melt" when you put them in the tank. That is their way of acclimating to your water and they will grow back. Only snip off a leaf if it turns brown but if it's green still and just looks like it's melting, it's fine to leave there and it will grow back

You may need some liquid fert but that's pretty easy, just dose it after your water change. The directions are usually 5ml per 10 gallons once a week but I split that into two feedings twice a week. So for a 10 gallon it would 2.5 ml on Wed. and another 2.5ml on Saturday and it works well. You can use either API's LeafZone or SeaChem's Flourish (Do not get Flourish Excel! That's something different you don't need!)

If you've got other questions feel free to ask or PM me
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
You also have to realize that if you buy the plants in the tubes at Petco/Petsmart they will generally "melt" when you put them in the tank. That is their way of acclimating to your water and they will grow back.
That's odd, I've never had one do that. Can you describe what you mean by melting? Mine always stay the same, or turn brown and die.

Just a heads up, it'll be really expensive to buy that many plants. A small single plant is like 4.99.

But, I would highly recommend anubis, as it is the little plant that could in my tank (and my anubis has been through a lot). It's also really pretty and "tropical" looking in my opinion. I also love anacharis, but if you get it from PetSmart or PetCo I almost 100% guarantee it will be infested with snails. I also love my marimo moss balls. They float around, so every time I look in my tank they're in a different spot.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The melting process generally occurs but it doesn't always with the tubes. It depends on how it was grown actually. If they are grown out of water like most of the tube plants are, they will melt but if they are grown in water (so like the plants you buy at Petco/Smart but art in the tank, those usually don't melt) will be fine.

It generally looks just like the plant is melting, it starts at the tip of the leaf and turns really dark green, sometimes almost transparent and works it's way down the leaf but once it settles in, it stops and the regular green color goes back out to the tip as it repairs itself. It doesn't always happen, but just a warning

Yes, they is why I mentioned Silent Cycling is going to cost you more but for me, it's worth it. Now that my 33 gallon plants are giving off baby's everywhere I could use those to cycle another tank if I wanted That's the good thing about live plants, they make more of themselves unlike silk lol.

And yeah, Anubias is a great plant however for the cycling you really need the fast growers to start off with at least because they'll soak up all the ammonia in the first place.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
The melting process generally occurs but it doesn't always with the tubes. It depends on how it was grown actually. If they are grown out of water like most of the tube plants are, they will melt but if they are grown in water (so like the plants you buy at Petco/Smart but art in the tank, those usually don't melt) will be fine.

It generally looks just like the plant is melting, it starts at the tip of the leaf and turns really dark green, sometimes almost transparent and works it's way down the leaf but once it settles in, it stops and the regular green color goes back out to the tip as it repairs itself. It doesn't always happen, but just a warning

Yes, they is why I mentioned Silent Cycling is going to cost you more but for me, it's worth it. Now that my 33 gallon plants are giving off baby's everywhere I could use those to cycle another tank if I wanted That's the good thing about live plants, they make more of themselves unlike silk lol.

And yeah, Anubias is a great plant however for the cycling you really need the fast growers to start off with at least because they'll soak up all the ammonia in the first place.
All mine came from the tubes out of water at PetSmart. I work there, and I've never had a customer say anything to me about it (been there almost 2 years). But, it's good to know that I can warn them that it might happen. I wonder if it might have something to do with the differences in water parameters or pH or something.

Maybe me and Anubis just have a connection because mine grew fast, and big. I eventually took it all out and gave it to my boyfriends dad for his planted tank (bad idea, he killed it all within a few weeks and it lasted a year with me). None of the "fast" growing plants ever grew that fast for me. But, I do use natural light, as opposed to a bulb.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #15 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptunesMom View Post
All mine came from the tubes out of water at PetSmart. I work there, and I've never had a customer say anything to me about it (been there almost 2 years). But, it's good to know that I can warn them that it might happen. I wonder if it might have something to do with the differences in water parameters or pH or something.

Maybe me and Anubis just have a connection because mine grew fast, and big. I eventually took it all out and gave it to my boyfriends dad for his planted tank (bad idea, he killed it all within a few weeks and it lasted a year with me). None of the "fast" growing plants ever grew that fast for me. But, I do use natural light, as opposed to a bulb.
Yeah it can be due to growing out of water rather than submerged. But I had also mentioned it was it's way of "acclimating" to the new tank and the different water chemistry.

Yeah I love my Anubias as well ^_^ Plants in generally like higher pH levels, 7.0 and up. My fast growers grow super fast in my 33 which is 7.4-7.6 while in my 10 gallon they barely grow, they're alive but not growing well and that tank is at 6.5 now.