Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #1 
jadaBlu

Cycling-Have nitrites and nitrates 0 ammonia water still smells moldy?

I figure from I've read the tank is cycled. I used Safe Start this happened in days fish in cycle. I am getting ready to do a 25% water to adjust for the nitrates and nitrites.

Before I started again I cleaned the gravel and my tank because of a moldy smell I am getting with this one particular fish (Zephyr the one in my avatar) .I just can't figure out how to get rid of the moldy smell there are no live plants in the tank and the substrate is minimal. A very tiny amount the previous tank water went into the tank. Any thoughts?

Last edited by jadaBlu; 06-10-2013 at 01:36 PM.
jadaBlu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:17 PM   #2 
BettaFran

What do you mean, exactly, when you say you cleaned your gravel and tank before doing the 35% water change?
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #3 
jadaBlu

I actually broke down the tank and started over because I had done cleanings and water changes to get rid of the smell to no avail. So it was suggested I do thorough cleaning of my gravel. I supposed maybe should have boiled it but what I did was rinse it with chlorinated water really well. I cleaned the tank with hotwater. The tank was unfiltered I added a sponge filter. I added Tetra safe start a couple of times. The moldy smell is back. I have many tanks and none of them have this issue. It's just Zephyr's tank.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #4 
BettaFran

Hmm. Will have to brainstorm a bit. But off hand it seems that completely cleaning everything obviously put you back to ground zero, though it sounds like the TetraSafe helped restart things some. So now, even with the new sponge filter running, you have the moldy smell? And you say none of your other tanks have smell...and never did? I've noticed in tanks I've had in the past , some will have more of a smell than others, although it tended to be ones that were temporary and had plants or bog wood but no filters, and which also had surface films. Presumed bacterial blooms and films and definitely didn't smell good. Eventually got better although I've had to actually remove bogwood from tanks before if problem continued. Do you have anything like that in your tank? Have you tried using Prime and/or Stability? Till the tank fully cycles I would maybe do that, along with water changes...but no more super cleans. Perhaps it's just going through more noticeable (to your nose) stages of cycling than your other tanks? I'll keep thinking but that's what I can come up with for now. Hopefully some others will chime in too. Feel free to add any more details and questions too. Hope we can all put our heads together and come up with a solution. Hang in there! Just keep a close eye out on water parameters and any potential signs of illness or stress. Mean time hopefully tank will complete cycling sooner than later and smell will clear up ;)
Old 06-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #5 
jadaBlu

It's definitely a moldy smell. I can't smell it unless I open the tank. Now I have smelled with other fish that came from the same store at around the same time. Not lately with the two others.

One fish had clear water in the morning and foul cloudy water by the evening. He (Zippy) got bloat. I was able clear that up. To me he is still less active than before. The other two are babies and are in gallon tanks they get water changes every other day. The only common denominator is that all three fish have a black dusting ever here and there on the edges of thier scales. It's very scant but noticable. Can mold grow on fish scales? The husbandry at this Petsmart was awful. The one in my avatar had fairly clean water, the other two were stuck in pretty dirty water.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #6 
BettaFran

I've never heard of mold growing on fish scales. I still can't think of what could be causing that smell either. I'm sorry I'm not being helpful.
I'll keep trying to hunt something down but just don't have any more ideas right now.
Did you try asking in the health section. Is it possibly a type if velvet or something? (Thankfully I've not had many health issues over the years, but that means I'm not one to ask either).
Anyone else? Please hop on and offer any ideas. I'm sure jadaBlu would appreciate it.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

"Moldy" is a little hard to quantify. One of my tanks has an earthy/loam/soil smell that my others do not. They all have kind of a clean, swampy smell.

This was my first cycled tank (cycled with rotting fish I'll never do that again). It also had an algal bloom.

If the smell increases or your fish's behavior changes, then I'd start worrying. Until then, closely monitor your parameters, get your tank cycled and stabilized and see what happens.

Get some live plants in there. That frequently helps.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote