Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #1 
ellewar

How often to do a water change?

How often would I change a 2.5g tank without a filter, but with a live plant? Also, how often would you change it without a filter and without a live plant? I am currently doing 1 75% change per week on the tank with a live plant. Thanks
ellewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 PM   #2 
colorxmexravyne

That depends heavily on how many live plants you have, what type of plants they are (fast-growing stem plants vs. slower growing plants like anubias) and the bioload of the tank.

I may be pulling at strings here, but the way you've worded your question makes it sound like you have one plant in your tank. If that's the case, you're probably still going to want to do one 50% and one 100% water change per week because that's not really enough to make a difference. c:
colorxmexravyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #3 
tngirl92

How many plants would it take to make a difference? I also have a 2.5 gallon and I would like to avoid 100% water changes. The stress my fish out extraordinarily more than with any other fish I've had.
tngirl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #4 
peachii

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngirl92 View Post
How many plants would it take to make a difference? I also have a 2.5 gallon and I would like to avoid 100% water changes. The stress my fish out extraordinarily more than with any other fish I've had.

I use a thin piece of airline tubing and vacuum the gravel with it when i do water changes. I get as much stuff off the bottom and out of the gravel as I can. I have a lot of live plants in every tank but even in the tanks that didn't have live plants I avoided the 100% water changes. The only time I ever do 100% is if someone is sick and in quarantine. By the time i clean the gravel and think it is clean enough, I have usually sucked out 50 to 60% of the water from the tank so that is how much I put back in the tank.

All tanks are capable of being cycled with enough time and care of your tank. Even our 2 gallon is completely cycled and happy. Not everyone will agree but that is how I do every single tank in the house and it works great.

Keep in mind it does take a long time with the thin airline tubing to clean the bottom because I get as much waste as possible out of the tank and so it sucks water slowly and just a little at a time, so I would guess it takes me 30 mins to an hour to get it as clean as I like before I fill it back up.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote