Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2009, 04:42 PM   #1 
BettaSquirt

Angry UGH! Annoyed with Fin rot. Please Help.

All 4 of my fish have fin rot and it's getting me frustrated.
Once every week I clean all of their tanks. I've been using Bettafix, but it just ran out like 2 days ago. When it ran out, Squirt and Cosmo's Fin rot was starting to heal. But Leo's and Gurgles aren't getting ANYWHERE! I just cleaned of theirs on Tuesday and Thursday. (Gurgles and Cosmos on Tuesday, Squirts and Leos on Thursday.) And The next day, (Today) Friday, Cosmos tail looks like it got shredded really bad! Ergg. Its like the cleaning made it worse! I dont know if thats the reason. But Anyway, Squirts Finrot looks like it's starting to come back, Gurgles isnt getting anywhere, still shredded. And Leos is getting better.
I don't know why it keeps comming back. Should i just keep on giving them meds? Or do something else....? And yes I clean the tanks once every week. I use filtered water. I use water conditioner and aquarium salt.
:((( Poor Cosmo. Almost half of his tails missing!

Thanks
BettaSquirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #2 
Vikki81207

I would bump up to JFE. And keep up with Salt baths.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #3 
BettaSquirt

Could I Get that at Petco?
Old 08-21-2009, 09:18 PM   #4 
pdxKris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaSquirt View Post
Could I Get that at Petco?
I've not noticed it before at Petco, but I have seen it at one of our PetSmarts recently. If you can't find it there, I would expect most good local tropical fish stores would have it (I know of several in my area, unfortunatly they're not big chain stores, so that doesn't help you much! )
pdxKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:37 PM   #5 
Ilovemyshiny

the same thing was happening to me with two of my boys then i realized they both had the same plant decorations and took those out and they got better. some thing about those decorations were shredding their fins, do you have any decorations in with them? if so take them out and see if it makes a difference.
Ilovemyshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Walmart might have it. I know Petsmart has it. At least mine did.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #7 
BettaSquirt

Ummm.... Maybe. Leo and Cosmo both have a little flip-flop cave things, and both of their finrots the worst out of all 4. Maybe that could be the issue. Tomoarrow i'll get some JFE and maybe some new decorations. I'll take out the caves and see if it gets better.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:52 PM   #8 
BettaSquirt

When I take out the caves, should I change the water too?
Old 08-23-2009, 10:13 AM   #9 
BakaMandy

I would clean their tanks everyday. Usually during one salt bath session I'd switch the water, re-add medicine and warm it up to the proper temperature. :S I've noticed if I don't change it everyday, it suddenly gets worst, especially if it's a really bad case. Preparing the water a head of time saves a lot of time :)

Personally, I'd also keep the cave in there because they'll feel less stressed out if you took it out, and less stress will help them a little since it's stress that makes them more susceptible to becoming sick. But whenever you clean their tanks out, scrub it with hot water before putting it back into the tank.

You may also use Methylene Blue to prevent further infection and reduce stress as well. Stress Coat water condition is good for that too and has aloe vera in it to help heal the fins.

If the case is getting worst, try using Maracyn and Maracyn-two in combination (read the instructions carefully, since it asks that after 5 days of using the medicine, take two days off the medicine since constantly keeping your fish medicated is bad for them). And if it doesn't improve after two weeks of treatment, move onto ampicillin or penicillin (ampicillin preferably).

At this point, especially if your fish had been suffering from bacterial fin rot, if your fish recovers it will require special treatment for the rest of it's life, requiring a water change every day since its resistance to the disease will probably be very low :S

But yeah ~_~ fin rot is annoyingly persistent...
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #10 
BettaSquirt

Wow. Thats alot of work but I think I can do it. I wont be lazy.
But I cant change their water everyday, Because I use filtered water, and it only takes like 2 gallons before water runs out of the tank. So I have to wait a day before i do more tanks. Thats why I do two tanks one day then two the next day. So I might have to change them every other day or so.