Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #11 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylerwin View Post
I use API's liquid test kit.
pH was around 7.6, maybe higher. I have 2 moss balls in there right now and I try and toss in some bacteria supplement as needed. I had the betta floating in the cup in the tank for about half hour, then added some tank water to his cup, let that stay for another ten minutes or so and then carefully poured him in.
7.6 is fine, a fish will adapt to it. You were close with the acclimating, pour about /12 the water out of the bag or cup the fish is in, float the container in the tank, add a tablespoon of tank water every 15 minutes for at least an hour, then remove the fish either with your hand or a net & release, do not pour the cup water into the tank as you don't what may be in it. I suspect he was ill when you purchased him & the shock of the move was just too much, it happens unfortunately. The bacteria supplement has to be used per instructions otherwise you're just throwing your money away & in most cases it is a waste of money.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #12 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylerwin View Post
If I try another betta, what percentage water changes should I do until it's cycled? 50-75%? 100% scares me. lol
Are you talking for fish IN cycling or once the tank is fully cycled? For my filtered, fully cycled tanks I do 50% +/- weekly water changes. You wouldn't need to do a 100% with filtered & cycled tank as part of maintenance. While fish IN cycling I let my test results dictate my water change but I typically do ~50%.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #13 
Sylerwin

Okay, I'll try that next time then. Thanks, Shellieca.
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 PM   #14 
lissienen

Honestly, I have always had amazing luck with API's QuickStart. When I started up my 36 gallon last week I transferred over a few pounds of substrate from my old sorority tank along with a few decorations and put in the recommended dosage of QuickStart and everything was right where it needed to be by the second day. I've not lost a fish and I've used it for three different tank set-ups in the past year and a half along with the partial substrate switch.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #15 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

Did you use the Stability for 7 straight days? I've used it with 100% success. On the Q&A, Seachem warns it won't work unless you do.

Good luck.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote