Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #1 
Phether

New owner with questions

Hi everyone!

I have never really been into keeping pet fish, since every single gold fish that I have kept as a child has died overnight. My parents would not give me money for them either so I've never really had any pets. But my friend has recently gone on a vacation and she needed me to watch her pet Betta for her. I've kept it on my desk and this little guy's been growing on me. So I decided that I want to get some of my own! :)

So I've been doing some research here and there and I still have some questions. I want more than just one fish in my tank and I thought about some of my options and read that I could keep female bettas together.

I want to get 3 female bettas, and I want to get something like this

Can someone show me the differences (with pictures) between a male and a female betta so I dont accidently buy 3 males and send them to their deaths?

How big of a tank should I get? I was thinking maybe a 10 gallon tank. Are there any reliable name brands that I should look for? I dont want to buy a tank that'll be defective or break on me somewhere down the line. What would be the price range for these tanks?

How do I keep the fish together? I will use dividers if necessary but I want to avoid that. How do I go about introducing the betta into the tank?

What kind of accessories will I need? A filter and heater mainly from what I've learned. Is there anything else? What kind of surroundings should I put them in? Should I use sand topped with rocks or just pebbles or sparkly marbles? Ideas for plants? What about lighting? What colors do they prefer? Anything else I need to know before I take off on this adventure? Thanks for your help!
Phether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Males in almost all cases (Halfmoon plakats and plakats are short finned) have long fins. Female are smaller, and on their stomach you can see a small white dot. This is an egg spot.

Females can live together as long as the tank is 10+ gallons and you have at least 4 females.

Also, don't jump into pure bred crowntails and halfmoons right away. Start with mutt veil tails.

Warning!!! These fish will take over your life!!!

Last edited by MrVampire181; 08-22-2009 at 03:57 PM.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:00 PM   #3 
doggyhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phether View Post
Hi everyone!

I have never really been into keeping pet fish, since every single gold fish that I have kept as a child has died overnight. My parents would not give me money for them either so I've never really had any pets. But my friend has recently gone on a vacation and she needed me to watch her pet Betta for her. I've kept it on my desk and this little guy's been growing on me. So I decided that I want to get some of my own! :)

So I've been doing some research here and there and I still have some questions. I want more than just one fish in my tank and I thought about some of my options and read that I could keep female bettas together.

I want to get 3 female bettas, and I want to get something like this

Can someone show me the differences (with pictures) between a male and a female betta so I dont accidently buy 3 males and send them to their deaths?

How big of a tank should I get? I was thinking maybe a 10 gallon tank. Are there any reliable name brands that I should look for? I dont want to buy a tank that'll be defective or break on me somewhere down the line. What would be the price range for these tanks?

How do I keep the fish together? I will use dividers if necessary but I want to avoid that. How do I go about introducing the betta into the tank?

What kind of accessories will I need? A filter and heater mainly from what I've learned. Is there anything else? What kind of surroundings should I put them in? Should I use sand topped with rocks or just pebbles or sparkly marbles? Ideas for plants? What about lighting? What colors do they prefer? Anything else I need to know before I take off on this adventure? Thanks for your help!

That is a nice CT male that you want. I doubt you will found anything like him a pet store though. Ps. that one that you attached a pic of is a male. Try aquabid.com if you really have your heart set on one like that. :)

OK, females CAN be kept together, but don't just plunk 'em all in the tank and expect them to be a happy family.

1. You need at least 4 females, so the aggression can be spread out.

2. You need at least 10 gallons, heavily planted with lots of places to hide.

3. Sorority tanks (a tank of females) don't always work. It is high risk.

Honestly, for beginners, I would just get 2-3 males and divide the tank.

Oh! And welcome to the fish forum. Everyone is very helpful here, so don't be afraid to ask questions!!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #4 
Phether

Why do I need 4 instead of 3?

Whoops. YOu just answered my question. Thanks! :]

Last edited by Phether; 08-22-2009 at 04:02 PM. Reason: question was just answered
Old 08-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

If you are looking to start a soroity tank..Then
1. Buy all females..(as you stated) you can tell the diff. by looking right under the belly of the fish..If you see a pearl (white egg spot) then that is a female..
2. Try to find young, small looking females..as these are the best soroity girls.They can get used to eachother easily
3. Go for a larger tank! 10 gallon +
4. Also range in the diet you feed them, Flacks, Pellets, Bloodworm treats, shrimp!
5. You will need a heater
6. And a filter
7 Also make sure there are MANY hiding places for the shy females.
8. oh.. Also. You can have more then 4 females in a 10 gallon if you dont add anyother tank mates.
9. If you would like tank mates...Introduce them to the tank first so the bettas wont pick on them.. I have had great success with Neons, Mollies, Cory cats, and Cleaners
1o. When you so get the females make sure you transfer them all into the tank at the same time, so they cant start claming their own territory
Questions??
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #6 
crowntail lover

It balances out the aggression..But if you have tankmates...Then 3 will do!
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:56 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wouldn't get any less than 4 females. The more females you have the more the aggression is spread out. The larger the tank, the more females you can have.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #8 
Kim

I agree with all of the above information but I would honestly suggest that if you are new to keeping bettas you just divide the tank into 2 and keep the bettas seperately. If you do this you can have males, females, or a combination of both. Sororities are very risky.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:52 PM   #9 
KP0707

also remember to cycle your tank or your fish might die
KP0707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:38 PM   #10 
Phether

What do you mean by cycling? Thanks for all the answers guys! Any other tips are welcome :]