Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2009, 07:52 PM   #1 
Wednesday

Arrow Filters?

Hey there~ I have 4 female bettas in a 5 gallon tank. Me and my roommate were thinking about getting a filter for our fishies. I know bettas can live without one, but do you think it's a good investment? We clean the tank out once a week and feed them once a day around 2pm. We were feeding them twice a day, but we thought that was a bit too much. Back to my original question. If a filter is a good idea, what kind should we get?

Also, we were thinking about adding some more community fish into our tank, such as tetras or platys. Do you think we'll have to get a bigger tank to account for them? (tank picture in signature)
Wednesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #2 
ElmoFish

Yes, a filter is a good investment, you'll want to get one with an adjustable flow, although females handle current much better than males.

I wouldn't suggest tank mates in your 5 gallon, as with 4 betta's it's already overstocked.. Females can become aggressive, and you really need at least a 10 gallon with lots of plants and hiding places in order for a group of females to coexist peacefully for a long time.. I'm sure you haven't run into problems yet, but in a tank that size it's very likely to happen.. in a 10 gallon you could have some tank mates, like corycats to keep the algae at bay..

Good luck with your girls :)
ElmoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #3 
Wednesday

Well, I've had them for a few weeks now, at first Melon was fighting with Tetrapod and Tea. Once we got some pants though I haven't seen them fight since. I told my roommate that we'd need a bigger tank, yet she didn't want to get one too big because it's on a small table. I think the size we have is okay for our fish now, but, I'd definitely get a bigger tank if we decided on more fish.

Okay, I'll research more on filters with adjustable flow. Thanks. :)
Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 PM   #4 
doggyhog

5 gallons is not big enough for 4 females. Please get a 10 gallon tank. They may not be fighting NOW, but I wouldn't risk it.

I don't mean to come off rude, but I'm just worried that one of your girlies is going to get hurt.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #5 
Wednesday

Okay, I'll get a 10 gal next time I'm out. :)

Tags
filter, other fish