Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2009, 02:25 PM   #1 
bluebettafish

Water Intake

My betta seems to like hanging around the water intake area. I also see him swimming around the part where the water comes out and to me it looks like he's having fun. He seems to really like his new home.

It worries me though so I check once in a while to make sure he's ok. Then just now I found him wrapped around the intake!! I banged on the tank to see if he could get away before I had to do it myself. He was totally fine. I often find him in that area with his fin sort of wrapped around it (and it's not frayed or anything. They're in good condition).

I have Marineland Eclipse 3 and others have told me the filter is not strong to the point where I need to be concerned. I read here that I should put nylon/pantyhose around it to make sure he doesn't get sucked in. Is there anythng else I should do?

One thing I should probably point out is that I put the plants near these places. Could this be why he hangs around in that area?
bluebettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #2 
dr2b

Flair wrapped around my eclipse corner 5 intake tube and damaged his fins. I would put pantyhose on it.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:24 PM   #3 
bluebettafish

OK will definitely put pantyhose around it. It sounds to me like he'll get wrapped but at least this would prevent the damage.

I saw him doing this a couple more times. The 2nd time I banged on the tank again and he swam away from it. 3rd time, he swam away from it as soon as he saw me. I think he knows I don't approve of that. It was kind of funny.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebettafish View Post

I saw him doing this a couple more times. The 2nd time I banged on the tank again and he swam away from it. 3rd time, he swam away from it as soon as he saw me. I think he knows I don't approve of that. It was kind of funny.
lol! Thats funny!! They learn quickly, don't they?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:39 PM   #5 
dr2b

Flair refused to move lol. He did the first few times - after that he would just look at me and lean up against it. I don't know why they do it though.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:39 AM   #6 
bluebettafish

Yeah so I'm not super worried about it since I think he enjoys it. I just don't want to find him really stuck in it one day. Maybe I can teach him not to do it because he seems to understand that I will bug him until he gets away from it. It was as if a kid was caught doing something bad and was pretending that nothing happened. I had no idea betta fish could be so much fun. I'm so glad I found this forum. Thank you for all your help.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 AM   #7 
dr2b

Oh I don't think he'll get stuck. Flair definitely wasn't stuck. He just refused to move away. Because he could move away with ease if he wanted to. They can just be stubborn lil things when they want to be. I'd still do the pantyhose just in case. Ever since that day, Flair quit doing it.