Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #21 
cdouglas93

I was wondering how soon I should start feeding the fry. I should be getting the Microworms today but I've been feeding them egg yolk just in case.
cdouglas93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #22 
bettafishlover101

IMO you should start doing water cahnges much earlier (4 days old) and 50%water changes, I have another tank full of treated, heated water I use for water changes... I have fry who are 3 months old, and the size of 6 week old fries. :( From not doing enough water changes.

And a few fry will eat frozen food, but for the most part, they will not eat it. So its good you didn't buy any :) I wasted money buying my bettas some :( luckily my guppy fry gobbled it up :D

I rely on microworm cultures, Atisons Starter, and BBS for raising my fry. Be careful, too much BBS results in SBD and will kill most of your fry :( After the fry are about 6 weeks, I start feeding them powder food, like Atisons betta Starter - but I've heard First bites works well too, though, i've never tried it..

and last but not least, I HIGHLY suggest you get a sponge filter(about 3 dollars on ebay), and not use a regular filter (either hanging, corner, quiet flow that hangs inside the tank) A small mini sponge filter, will help, as betta fry do not breathe air until 7 weeks old. So you should have some air going in there. Have a gang valve to restrict the flow of air to about a bubble per second. I never turned mine off, ever.

Also when your microworm culture gets to your house, be sure to have oatmeal :D I didn't have any and ended up using potato bread, but oatmeal works 30x better. . .

You need to be feeding fry their first meal of microworms when they are free swimming and you remove the father. Not all will need to eat it, as some may not be free swimming yet (but dont worry), the ones that absorbed their egg sack the fastest will need food :) and the worms will swim around for a few hours. But if you find you have a lot of dead worms on the bottom of the tank, you're feeding too much.
bettafishlover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:12 AM   #23 
cdouglas93

:Update: The fry are now one day short of being 2 weeks old and so far everything is going really well. They are already growing really fast and I can't wait to see their colors shine. I again want to thank everyone for all their help

:Question:
Besides the 10 gallon tank the fry are in I currently have a 10 gallon sorority and a 30 gallon with just daddy (my male betta) and 4 cory catfish. My question is I was thinking of switching my sorority of 7 girls into my 30 gallon and was wondering if that if it would be ok to also add the female fry into there once they get to a certain age. My male (Hatchi) will of course not be included into this tank but a tank of his own. Either way I plan on putting the female fry into the 30 gallon when the time comes.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #24 
indjo
TFK Moderator

How many fry do you approx have? The more fry, the bigger the grow out.

Do you know your male's character? I often put an adult male in with fry 1.5cm up. My males won't bother tiny bettas.

Congrats on your success. Keep it up
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #25 
lillyandquigly

I really like this thread, it's helping me learn more
lillyandquigly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:09 AM   #26 
cdouglas93

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
How many fry do you approx have? The more fry, the bigger the grow out.

Do you know your male's character? I often put an adult male in with fry 1.5cm up. My males won't bother tiny bettas.

Congrats on your success. Keep it up
Even with their ever growing size it's still hard to calculate how many there are. Plus of course add up their speed and their constant moving and it's almost impossible. There are quite a few in there at least 20 if not a lot more.

They are two weeks old now and dad is already in the tank above them. He shows no signs of aggression except for the first time I fed the babies with him in there and he tried to attack the Q-tip. That was actually pretty funny. Would it be ok to place him back in there?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM   #27 
bettafishlover101

No. Do not put the male back. Those are no longer "his" so he will eat them. He should only be with them until free swimming, or he could eat themto make his job easier of keeping them inthe nest. He shouldn't even be in the tank when you start feeding the fry.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #28 
bettafishlover101

I do not reccomend putting the dad back with the fry. Big fish eat small fish. And they're now at the age to fend for themselves
Old 06-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #29 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I agree with everyone - yourr fry are currently bite size so you shouldn't put the male in with them. Aggressive males will even kill 1-1.5cm fry. If you want to put male in with fry, wait until fry are much bigger (I forgot your fry are only about 2 weeks old when I wrote the comment - sorry, my bad).
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #30 
cdouglas93

Okie Dokie that's no problem. I wasn't that worried about placing the male in with the babies. It was just when Indjo commented about it I figured I'd ask.

Tags
10 gallon, betta breading, eggs