Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #31 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafishlover101 View Post
He shouldn't even be in the tank when you start feeding the fry.
I agree not to place the male back in, but I will have to disagree with this statement as MANY breeders keep their males in with the fry until they are ready to be jarred at a couple months of age. Fry and juveniles do much better with the father in with them overall.
It will depend on the male though - some males may eat the fry, some won't. You can watch him and see how he is with them to determine whether or not he should be left in there. If he is tending and caring for the babies, he will actually feed the babies himself by chewing up his food and blowing it out through his mouth and gills and then he will wiggle his fins to cause a vibration, which in turn will call the babies to him to eat. It's how they do it in the wild..

I've had great success with keeping a good daddy in with the fry.. I feed the fry and he waits patiently and I then drop his food in and he gobbles it up no problem. Never ate the fry.. would carry them around sometimes, but once they were swimming all over he was just content at watching them and making sure nothing came near them :)

It's quite common and many recommend to leave the male in with the fry for as long as possible.. just have to know his temperament and limitations and keep a close eye during the stress times such as cleaning the tank, etc. :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
10 gallon, betta breading, eggs