Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2009, 08:41 AM   #11 
Romad
TFK Moderator

My adfs (Oingo and Boingo) are in my 2.5 gal with my new halfmoon. It's been a real challenge to feed them because they were initially in the 5 gal with my veiltail Baccus and he ate every bit of their food.

The halfmoon seems less interested in eating their frog pellets but I have to change out the gravel because he rocks are large and the frog pellets kind of get lost in them. So, I've been taking a turkey baster and squeezing thawed bloodworms in front of them. This seems to be working ok but the halfmoon loves them too.

Sigh.......

Just something to keep in mind if you experience the same with your froggies. If I come up with a foolproof method of feeding them, I'll post it here.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:16 AM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I can see that it can be a challenge to feed everyone and keep them all happy.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #13 
puppyrjjkm

You could put Antubis in the 2 gallon bowl. Then make the 10 gallon a community that includes a new king betta. I have a 29 gallon community with my male crowntail and everyone is fine. In the community you could also have your 2 ADFS. :) Oh and as for the food, our stores never sold it either. We fed either the cubed bloodworms (they stick to the glass, you would have to stick them to the glass near the substrate, or the petstore told us we could feed hermit crab bits, which also worked.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #14 
AngelicScars

I've only had one Betta successfully live with other fish, and that is because she came from someone that raised her with her sisters.
I'm too scared to try it with anymore Betta.
I've read so many places that bloodworms are bad for ADfs because it can damage their digestive system.
I've also read online about how to feed them without losing their food in the gravel. I don't think I would put ADFs in a community tank because I've read the hardest part about that is feeding them. Seems like other fish are always eating their food. I'd hate for them to starve.

Also, the petstore probably feeds them whatever they have. I was looking for a regular clear veggie clip for my tank and I asked one of the employees about the ones they use. She was like "oh, we usually have those in stock, but not at the moment." then walks up to her little cart with a basket FULL of these veggie clips. I wonder why she couldn't have just given one of those to me. :/
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 AM   #15 
Romad
TFK Moderator

I went to my lfs yesterday and bought some flat clear stones which i put on top of the gravel in the adf tank. then i sank the pellets so that they fell on top of the stones. it seems to be working fine now. i realize that i could not feed them bloodworms exclusively.

p.s. i did manage to leave the store without bringing home another betta. but that doesn't mean i won't be looking for more space to house one LOL.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:10 AM   #16 
dr2b

Dumb question - what does adf stand for?
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:29 AM   #17 
puppyrjjkm

Huh, we've had oh 4 male bettas live 3+ years in community tanks, same with frogs. I guess it's just the luck of the draw. Good luck with your fish.
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #18 
AngelicScars

African Dwarf Frog

Yeah, it really is a luck thing, some Bettas just do not do well in communities tanks. The first female that had the Otos in her tank didn't care for it so I had to move her and put the new female in.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:12 PM   #19 
dr2b

Ahh okay. Thanks.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 PM   #20 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2b View Post
Ahh okay. Thanks.
No problem!