Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #31 
BoxedHobo

Yes, each fish has their own heater.

And yeah, I was planning on doing the water changes, but I was curious about filters. Thank you!

I just got Urara settled in the aquarium salt and conditioner mix. I'm still at a loss as to why he seemed to shrivel up over night. :(
BoxedHobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #32 
ANHEL123

Not sure . I am not sure what water changes you was doing before, did you acclimate him when you was doing water changes, he might got stressed and immune system compromised. Did you ever check your water parameters? All your other bettas doing well? You know i have 8 bettas right now one is about 5 years old, a few 3 years old,another 1.8 so on. But i want to say 5 years old and 3 years old and the betta that i had died at 2.5 years old i do exactly the same care and guess what one live 5 years another got sick at 2 years old. So i am not sure, but i believe if you do right water changes they can live pretty long. And i know i wrote that already be careful when you have more than one betta never share anything between them. Even i am still afraid, none of my betta sick but i still really use different cup to change them. And even when i feed them if i touch the water surface in one tank i go rinse my hands to make sure i don't touch other fish. I really think it important. And if you tanks smaller than 5 gall i do recommend to do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes , keep 76* and acclimate betta each time when you do 100% so you don't stress them out with drastic temp change.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #33 
BoxedHobo

Thanks for the info!

I've been doing one 50% water change and one 100% water change a week. I'm not quite sure what you mean by water parameters, though.

The other two bettas seem healthy. They've been acting the same as the day I got them.

I hadn't really thought about acclimating them to their water, so thank you for that suggestion! I'll make sure to do that now (Or at least match the temperatures of the bowls/tanks and their carriers).

Additional question:
If I have an extra tank, can I use that for each betta between bowl cleaning? For instance, if I start cleaning one's bowl and keep him in a tank with his old water in it, then release him into his bowl, then wash out the little tank quickly and do the same with the other betta, is that bad? The only other things I have for them were the cup things I bought them in, that they hardly hold enough water for a water change.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #34 
Briz

Added note, one of mine currently uses the 1.5 LED cube I showed you, and he's just fine with the filter (doesn't create much flow being so small). He's moving to a 10 gallon soon! :) But I have the room for such aquariums, haha.

In reply to your question, I think it would be better to just keep a hold of the plastic cups your bettas came in (if you still have them) and use each one for the owner when doing water changes. That way there is no chance of cross contamination. Of course, clean those little cups as well!
Briz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:25 PM   #35 
BoxedHobo

Okay! I'll keep that in mind. Yes, I kept all of their cups for instances such as bowl cleaning. Good thing I thought that would come in handy!!
Old 04-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #36 
R3n3gade

water and filter

Ive had my betta goin on 3 weeks sat. And im sure its fine but his water is gettin a bit cloudy lately...I cleaned it this last sat. And plan to each week like ive learned but just curious bout the look of the water...I also have a power filter its a 3 gallon tank and yes I have a heater...I was concerned on how to do my monthly filter change in between my water changes cuz it has me very confused...because I know I need to change the filter around the end of the month but how do I need to seperate it from the water changes?
R3n3gade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 AM   #37 
Briz

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3n3gade View Post
Ive had my betta goin on 3 weeks sat. And im sure its fine but his water is gettin a bit cloudy lately...I cleaned it this last sat. And plan to each week like ive learned but just curious bout the look of the water...I also have a power filter its a 3 gallon tank and yes I have a heater...I was concerned on how to do my monthly filter change in between my water changes cuz it has me very confused...because I know I need to change the filter around the end of the month but how do I need to seperate it from the water changes?
From the Recommended water changes thread:
1-4gal with a filter
Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method.
Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month.

So simply remove the filter media a few times a month during your water change and swish/rinse it.
Briz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:23 AM   #38 
Janel Lisa

Is There Any PlantsThatR DefineTe No-Nos For Beta?
Janel Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #39 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxedHobo View Post
Thanks for the info!

I've been doing one 50% water change and one 100% water change a week. I'm not quite sure what you mean by water parameters, though.

The other two bettas seem healthy. They've been acting the same as the day I got them.

I hadn't really thought about acclimating them to their water, so thank you for that suggestion! I'll make sure to do that now (Or at least match the temperatures of the bowls/tanks and their carriers).

Additional question:
If I have an extra tank, can I use that for each betta between bowl cleaning? For instance, if I start cleaning one's bowl and keep him in a tank with his old water in it, then release him into his bowl, then wash out the little tank quickly and do the same with the other betta, is that bad? The only other things I have for them were the cup things I bought them in, that they hardly hold enough water for a water change.
Sorry i missed your question. About acclimation. When you change the water you just need to make sure new water is approximately the same temperature as his water . You don't want to shock him with drastic water temperature difference. That is why you need to acclimate betta to new water. So there is a few ways how to do it: Check my post #26
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=158401&page=3

About extra tank. Yes you can use that extra tank for your bettas while you changing them. Just rinse it with hot water after each betta. But i personally using those cups i bought them in. I have 10 bettas. And i like to be safe than sorry, so i have cups for each of them. And i have names on the cups. You never know with bettas they just like human being, can get sick any time. And if one sick and you will use the same cup you will contaminate the other. You can have 2 bettas in one tank and feed the same and do the same water changes but one still can get sick. So my recommendation use individual cup for each of them . And actually those cups that you bought them in have lids , so you can cover them while you leave them there for changing. Bettas are really good jumpers and there is a lot of accidents them jump out. So it good idea to cover the cups .

Oh i just wrote it and then i saw Britz already gave you advice :) Lol i am always late . But there is also acclimation instructions:)

Last edited by ANHEL123; 06-14-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #40 
ANHEL123

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3n3gade View Post
I just want to add something :)

Personally, I don't try to cycle small tanks. It doesn't take much for the cycle to crash, and when it does, it can harm the health of the fish. For me, it's just easier to do two water changes per week: one 100% and one 50%.

If you want to keep the filter, you can follow OFL's water change recommendation, which is that a 1-4 gal tank with a filter requires: "Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method. Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month."
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

If you don't have a vacuum or siphon, you can do the "stir and dip" that OFL mentions, but personally, I prefer having my tanks cleaner than this. (I feel like stir and dip leaves too much "stuff" in my tanks.)

Another option for creating a cycled tank is to set up a Natural Planted Tank (NPT), with lots of live plants. If you're willing to do this, the NPT tanks can look really good.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114575

You could also consider a sponge filter. Beneficial bacteria builds up on the sponge, which helps maintain good water quality. You'd still do one 100% and one 50% water change per week, but just give the sponge a quick squeeze so that it keeps its beneficial bacteria. Here's a link to a great thread about using sponge filters: What is a sponge filter?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=126530

Last edited by ANHEL123; 06-14-2013 at 02:02 PM.