Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 12:33 PM   #11 
mbreedi

Update on Romeo

Romeo did make a nice nest and was tending it nice. However this morning I check on him before work and it looks as if the eggs may have hatched and he may have eaten the fry. I did not see as many eggs in the nest and I did not see any fry hanging down. Is there any thing I can do. if I remove him will the fry survive on their own. If there are any left. Not sure what to do. I get a better look when I get off work. Hoping for the best .
mbreedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #12 
Myates

How long since they have spawned, and what is the temp of the water?

Males will move the eggs around in the nest, oftentimes I will start seeing less and less eggs in the nest because the male will take one out, clean it and stick it up higher into the nest. One time I didn't see any eggs, but ended up with a few dozen fry :)

Is the male still tending the nest? Is he staying below it, building more bubbles or just watching it intently? If so, then he still has eggs up in there. The fry are also very very tiny and it is easy to not see the tails right away.. give it a couple days before giving up on him.. look for tiny tiny specks in the water after a while. Keep in mind, the lower the temp, the longer it will take to hatch.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #13 
mbreedi

Yeah came home to a lot of fry swimming around. Well more like free falling and the dad taking them back to the nest. Today there are a few darting around. How long does it usually take for them to start swimming freely?
mbreedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #14 
Myates

About 1-2 days. Keep in mind the eggs were laid over a few hours+ time span, which in the fish world is a long time. So you'll have some darting about while others are "free swimming" once you see some darting on their own and right side up, start feeding them, even if there are others who are still "falling".
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote