Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Is substrate needed for a betta tank?
Yes 15 40.54%
Nope 22 59.46%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2013, 01:03 AM   #11 
Kiara1125

Well, it's a good surface area if you don't have a filter in the tank. I don't have filters in 2 of my betta tanks. The gravel, plants, heater, etc. provide enough surface area for the bb to grow. It all depends on the size of the gravel and how much you have. Also, I never said that it was necessary to have substrate. I just say that I use gravel.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:14 AM   #12 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If you don't have a filter, your tank will not cycle. There is no need for more surface area in an uncycled tank, that's why more water changes are required on uncycled tanks as well.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:17 AM   #13 
Kiara1125

That statement isn't true. The tanks are cycled. How do you think ponds without a current are able to have fish in it without them dying? The plants and substrate have bb on it and the pond is cycled.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #14 
ZombieKeepr

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
If you don't have a filter, your tank will not cycle. There is no need for more surface area in an uncycled tank, that's why more water changes are required on uncycled tanks as well.
Oh really? Then why did 5 of my past tanks cycle with nothing but gravel, an airstone & plants?

Cycling misconceptions run deep it seems. Anything in the tank can hold beneficial bacteria. Even did this on a 29gal goldie tank.
ZombieKeepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:29 AM   #15 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Comparing natural ecosystems to a aquarium is not really fair, kiara. Way to many different factors in play to properly explain.

Typically you need a lot more surface area then gravel can provide. There are also a lot of other benefits to filters.

And Kiara, it appeard that you believe substrate is needed when you voted that way in the poll.

All I'm saying is that substrate is absolutly not nescessary, and you can have a healthy betta without it. I've done it many times.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:33 AM   #16 
Kiara1125

Well, I'm not saying that I'd rather not have a tank if I can't have substrate, I'm just saying that I'd prefer it.

Still, why is it unfair to compare the two? People seem to do it a lot on here for providing the "best home possible" for fish.

And, like I stated, it all depends and tanks CAN be cycled without filters.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #17 
finnfinnfriend

I don't think substrate is the reason a tank can cycle without a filter...there's other ways to provide surface area. I've never heard of a tank cycling wihout a filter anyway but I'm not going to argue against that...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Comparing natural ecosystems to a aquarium is not really fair, kiara. Way to many different factors in play to properly explain.

Typically you need a lot more surface area then gravel can provide. There are also a lot of other benefits to filters.

And Kiara, it appeard that you believe substrate is needed when you voted that way in the poll.

All I'm saying is that substrate is absolutly not nescessary, and you can have a healthy betta without it. I've done it many times.
Hey Matt, did you ever have any issue with reflection in you BareBottom tanks? I know I already asked someone else but I am just curious...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:51 AM   #19 
Kiara1125

Well, it's hard to find a small filter around here. Not only that, but I don't see the need since my bettas don't react well to filters. The only filter I have in a betta tank is my 10g divided, but it has a male plakat on that side.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:29 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieKeepr View Post
Oh really? Then why did 5 of my past tanks cycle with nothing but gravel, an airstone & plants? Cycling misconceptions run deep it seems. Anything in the tank can hold beneficial bacteria. Even did this on a 29gal goldie tank.
An airstone provides aeration (oxygen). and circulates the water over the bacteria for treatment. A filter literally is not necessary, a simple pump will do. While it is true that anything in the tank will hold bacteria ---even the livestock--- a filter is a great way to get particulates out of the water and provide additional surface area for the bacteria in a high-flow environment.

Planting the tank, reduces the need to rely on the nitrogen cycle for ammonia control.

There is always some circulation in a pond, from thermal effects, wind, etc.

Cycling misconceptions abound, agreed. Among them is believing that a nitrogen cycle will flourish in the absence of circulation, oxygen and sufficient surface area.

Cycling is always worthwhile, in my opinion, not for the convenience of the keeper, but for the health and safety of the fish.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote