Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #11 
ANHEL123

Sorry i can't recommend the filter because i don'lt like to cycle small tanks but i just want to give you a few links...I just copy and posted from another thread:

Personally, I don't try to cycle small tanks. It doesn't take much for the cycle to crash, and when it does, it can harm the health of the fish. For me, it's just easier to do two water changes per week: one 100% and one 50%.

If you want to keep the filter, you can follow OFL's water change recommendation, which is that a 1-4 gal tank with a filter requires: "Twice weekly-1-50% water only and 1-50% with substrate cleaning by vacuum or stir and dip method. Filter media needs a swish/rinse in old tank water a couple of times a month."
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=115758

Another option for creating a cycled tank is to set up a Natural Planted Tank (NPT), with lots of live plants. If you're willing to do this, the NPT tanks can look really good.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=114575

You could also consider a sponge filter. Beneficial bacteria builds up on the sponge, which helps maintain good water quality. You'd still do one 100% and one 50% water change per week, but just give the sponge a quick squeeze so that it keeps its beneficial bacteria. Here's a link to a great thread about using sponge filters: What is a sponge filter?

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=126530
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #12 
FirstBetta

I had the AZOO, It didn't see to be doing anything but generate current. I tried a sponge filter and was amazed how quickly it cleared the cloudy water from placing the substrate in the tank. Yankee likes to hang around the filter when he isn't patrolling the tank.

Price with the air pump is roughly equivalent to the AZOO.
FirstBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #13 
jaysee
Reference Team

I love the azoo on my 2.5. When I set it up, I put a piece of sponge from another tank in the filter and PRESTO! Instant cycle.

I keep seeing people say how hard it is to maintain a cycle in a small tank. It's funny to me how the people on the main TFK forum have no trouble maintaining cycles in their tiny tanks, but it's such a big problem for the people on bettafish.
There seems to be such a disconnect on the topic.

Sent from Petguide.com App
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The keepers on the TFK side are generally older with considerably more experience than the average new Betta keeper who hangs out here.

Cycling and its variables is--- as Arther C Clarke said of "any sufficiently advanced technology" ---indistinguishable from magic.

Some of us understand from the get-go. Many are intimidated by the seemingly contradictory tutorials and advice in the topic of the nitrogen cycle. Eventually a degree of understanding is reached whereby all the advice becomes comprehensible within the confines of the canon or lore.

For all that, cycling is simplicity personified compared to building and maintaining a planted tank.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #15 
wish4coner

I get those sponge filters and a valve adjustment so I can adjust the flow. I get the mini on ebay.
wish4coner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:31 AM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Really can't beat a sponge filter for a smaller tank.

However, be mindful that a sponge filter can raise your pH. It adds oxygen and outgasses CO2.

Also, a smaller tank needs to have a 50% (minimum) water change at least weekly to remove dissolved solids and to remineralize.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM   #17 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
The keepers on the TFK side are generally older with considerably more experience than the average new Betta keeper who hangs out here.

Cycling and its variables is--- as Arther C Clarke said of "any sufficiently advanced technology" ---indistinguishable from magic.

Some of us understand from the get-go. Many are intimidated by the seemingly contradictory tutorials and advice in the topic of the nitrogen cycle. Eventually a degree of understanding is reached whereby all the advice becomes comprehensible within the confines of the canon or lore.

For all that, cycling is simplicity personified compared to building and maintaining a planted tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Really can't beat a sponge filter for a smaller tank.

However, be mindful that a sponge filter can raise your pH. It adds oxygen and outgasses CO2.

Also, a smaller tank needs to have a 50% (minimum) water change at least weekly to remove dissolved solids and to remineralize.

Yeah, what he said! LOL

Seriously, sponge filters are all you need. The same link I provided for the filter also sells air pumps if you need one. I got a pump and filter for a coworker for $13 delivered!
Plus, you never have to buy filter pads. Once a month squeeze out the sponge in old tank water and your good to go again!

Last edited by waterdog; 06-17-2013 at 10:25 AM.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #18 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Plus, you never have to buy filter pads. Once a month squeeze out the sponge in old tank water and your good to go again!
It's the same deal with any other filter, once one realizes that cartridges are not the way to go.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:10 PM   #19 
tlatch89

I have the tetra 3i, the current is a little fast and flows water over the top of the filter media if partially submerged.

I got a check valve for it, it slowed the current enough to where I can still partially submerge the filter (looks nicer) but doesn't flow water over the top. Works well.
tlatch89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The Tetra 3i is a poorly designed sponge filter. The water does not flow through the media. It only flows over the top 25% or so.

The pump is reasonably quiet and strong enough for a >5g tank.

A really good sponge filter can be had for >$6 on Amazon.