Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2009, 01:38 AM   #1 
British

Exclamation Desk lamp bulb popped - Shards flew

I was putting a plasitc plant in the top of Amaro's tank to sheild some light when the bulb popped and sent shards flying. I got one in my cheek and a few in my arm/left hand. My right hand/arm is in a cast, so none there. I got the scolding hot glass out of myself, and turned off the lamp at the switch. I'm scared something will catch fire if I unplug it. There are a few shards in Amaro's bowl and he seems fine, but now water temperature is going to be an issue. The light was on due to the temperature in my room. I'm now afraid he is going to freeze to death. He may have also been hit by a shard, or there could be something leaking into his tank from the glass right now and slowly killing him. I can't retrieve the glass now as it is scolding and there is now no light. (it's 3am here.) is my baby boy gonna be okay with a shard and a chilly aquarium for tonight? I'll try to find another light this afternoon when I get home from school and I'll turn off the fan in about two hours when I need to get ready for school. Ughh. So much stress!
British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #2 

Ben there, done that, Used to use a shop light that clamps onto the side of aquarium during maint. This worked well so long as filter was off. However one particular day ,i was simply going to change water, Removed the glass tops on one side and neglected to turn the filter off. Splash from water entering the tank from filter ,splashed up and hit the hot bulb and shattered it. All pieces fell into the tank. Had to remove the fish and try and net,or pick out all the pieces. I then used gravel vac to try and get the tiniest pieces.
I would try and do something similar if it were me. With one fish, you could leave the fish in the tank. I however had numerous large fish that were swimming about and causing the pieces of glass to become scattered. Is only reason I removed them.
Chin up,, Many things are difficult before they become easy.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #3 
Kim

He won't die in one night luckily. I've done that too, but with a glass heater. I forgot to unplug it while doing a water change and...BOOM...it blew up. Luckily it all went straight down though and there were no small pieces. No one was harmed...myself included :) and I just picked up the pieces and went to get my spare heater. Of course, now I need a new heater for my QT tank - there goes $30 :/

Sorry you're in a cast. Freshman year must be unlucky as I also ended up in a cast and on crutches that year :/
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:36 PM   #4 
British

If you read my other thread in FW&TF then you know why I've got it. /: Hes okay right now and the piece of glass is still in the tank. I tried to net it and the roundness of the bowl just made it get buried. I'm just gonna leave it. He'll be moved into a new 10g soon anyways.
British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:40 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

As long as its not out in the open where he can cut himself, I'm sure its ok. You said it was buried now.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote