Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 
jibruno

Upgrade from a 20 to a 30, need advice!

so i used to have a 20 Gal betta sorority tank, only had 2 snails and 7 bettas. after i had some bad luck and lost all my fish, i decided to take a small break.

well a friend of mine had a similar experience and was getting rid of his 30 Gal tank, i couldnt resist so i took it and decided to start from scratch.

i have been keeping bettas for a while now and have had succcess with other fish living with them in the past, but figured i would ask for some advice before making a mistake.

so heres my idea....

so my new 30 Gal will be full of nice new plants that i bought (giving them some quarantine time before i get my fish)

i also have some nice decorations in there to add more hiding places and caves.

as far as stocking the tank, i was thinking :

6 x Female bettas (CT)

3-4 x Ghost shrimp

6 x panda or pygmy cory cat

6 x X-ray tetra/ cherry barb/ or blood fin tetra

2 x Mystery snail

what do you think? im looking for some logical criticism

also for this tank what type of filtration do you suggest? i normally use sponge filters with my bettas but since i have other fish would it be smart to do a conventional filter?
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

With filtration you want more rating the better. So if it's a 30, you want about 50 or 55. And with a sorority you can still do a HOB (hang on back) filter, the flow would actually help the sorority because it will break up any fights that you have.

However if you are doing a sorority, I don't suggest a school other than cory's/1 pleco. I had a school of 7 Neon Tetras in my 33 with 9 girls. The tetras become so active amungst themselves that it was actually stressing my girls out, the same thing would happen with cherry barbs or blood fins. I'm certain that blood fins are nippy to other fish as well. So if you do decide to do a school with your girls, make sure you absolutely know they are not going to be nippy.

The ghost shrimp would probably be eaten by your girls, many think of it as a nice expensive snack lol But if you've got enough Java moss and other plants to hide in then they should be alright but I suggest getting about 10 of them. Also keep in mind that Ghost Shrimp are scavenger's and not algae eaters.

Also! QT any new girls for at LEAST 2 week's if not more. It's a hell of a lot easier to treat one girl than an entire tank. What I do is clean out their cups when I get them and let them acclimate to my tank water and scoop out a new cup of tank water when they are acclimated and put them in that cup. I then let that cup float in the big tank so they stay warm. I do this with all new girls so that they get to see each other for 2+ weeks and are less aggressive when they come out.

I change their cup water every other day so they don't get hurt from any ammonia, I keep a spare cup so that I can scoop out more tank water and put the girl into that cup right away, no acclimation needed because it's the same water (albeit less ammonia) and same temp. I empty the old cup in the sink (don't let that water into the tank because you're trying to keep disease out by doing this and that would just be putting it back in) and rinse it out to scoop more water out from the tank and change the next girl.

Also a good thing for when you have bullies because you're guaranteed to get a bully here and there. I use a clear breeder box and put the bully in that box, in the big tank. This makes it so they can see each other but not hurt each other, they can be kept like that up to 2 weeks sometimes if they're really misbehaving. I've done it for only 2 days after they calmed down and they were fine. But it's important that they always have eye sight contact so they can get used to each other's presence.

There's going to be fighting for the first two weeks or so, that's a given. They're just trying to get their pecking order establish. At this time they'll be stressed and more open for disease so I suggest doing two weekly changes on your tank at about 40-50% so they don't have a chance to get ill.

Also if you decided not to do the schooler fish you can get right up to 15-20 females in there. The more females the better because less aggression to one fish. 6 girls is the minimum girls that I would suggest and that's generally for a 10 gallon tank so you could totally fit more in there and with added filtration that's also possible.

Hope some of that helps! sorry if you already knew the parts about the sorority and the time outs
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:05 PM   #3 
Freyja
Banned

If you're getting the pygmys, up the group to 9+.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:03 PM   #4 
lissienen

When it comes to the algae-cleaners I've had better luck with plecos than mystery snails; they are cleaner and do a better job cleaning up the algae too. Rather than going for the straight pleco who can grow way too big for a 30 I like the bristlenose or rubberlip. The regular bristlenose tends to be a little hardier than my favorite, the albino bristlenose variety that my store recently started carrying, but the albino looks really cool, especially if you have a darker substrate like I do. Either way the plecos are really cool and a lot of fun to watch swim around and do their job in the bigger tanks :)
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #5 
peachii

I have a school of otos, an albino bristlenose pleco, and a lot of cory in my sorority. But i absolutely feel in love with the otos and the cory and gave up more than half of my space in the tank for bettas. I could fit a considerable amount more of bettas if I didn't have these other fish but my girls like them. It gives the girls something else to look at besides themselves and besides, my girls are ALL lazy. They lounge on the plants all the time so the cory and otos are the main attraction of the movement in my tank. Sometimes a girl will decide to get exercise and think she is a cory and start running with them across the front glass. That is really cute when it happens.

I also have tons of live plants that are still filling in. They have been in place for a month since i re-decorated the tank the last time and are finally getting tall and happy. I really want to re-do it again as I had one girl get beat up pretty badly and have no idea who did it plus I have a thick gravel we got when we were still new and it's kind of rough for my plants. I want to pull all that gravel and replace it with the Black Diamond blasting sand so that my entire tank will be cory friendly. Testing the black diamond sand out in 2 10 gallons right now and if it works and everyone is happy with it then I plan to re-do the sorority one last time, maybe just pull out the hardy plants and driftwood and leave the touchy plants and fill in around them. So far I highly recommend the Black Diamond Blasting sand for 8 dollars or so at Tractor Supply. You get a 50 pound bag and then just need to wash it really good and/or let it sit overnight in a bleach or peroxide dip then declorinate it for a little while. It's so pretty and cheap. So glad we decided to go with it.

Also another option especially if you have high PH tap water is SafeTsorb, it's an oil soaker up stuff thingy that people use in workshops or working on cars etc, Wal-Mart sells it and a lot of hobbiest use it for their tanks. It is really pretty and a completely different look from the black diamond blasting sand. It is browns/red/black/grey's mixed together and has a very nice rich color. It's a bit thicker than sand but not hard like pea gravel so would be fine for all types of bottom dwellers. So it's a toss up with me, one of the two of these are going into my sorority and the other 10 gallon, just need to decide which I like better. but both are super cheap alternatives to paying a ton of money for substrate, just takes a little time to clean it before it goes into the tank.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #6 
peachii

As far algae eating snails go, freshwater acclimated Nerites are the best snail in the world to get - they eat pretty much all types of algae that they can find and do not reproduce in freshwater so you don't have to worry about babies. They could potentially lay eggs on items in the tank but you'd need a male and female for that to happen, they will not produce babies unless moved to brackish/saltwater water.

I really want to get some Blue, Pink and Red ramshorns to breed and keep in my tanks. They don't get to big and so long as you don't overfeed won't take over the tanks.

Pond snails I have in pretty much all the tanks. They are good at cleaning up a lot of things in the tank as well as they will eat the film/stuff on the top of the water. Will look like they are walking on the underside of the water but they are munching on the stuff on the surface. They also eat the undesirable things in the water like the tiny planaria and hydro worms that are hard to get rid of if you get an out break of them.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #7 
lissienen

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
Sometimes a girl will decide to get exercise and think she is a cory and start running with them across the front glass. That is really cute when it happens.
I have about three girls who like to do this with my juli's XD It's pretty much the most adorable and hilarious thing that I've ever seen. Rose also likes to start to take her naps with two of the juli's when they are settled in a corner munching away at something and gets all startled if she wakes up and they're gone. I think she gets confused and thinks that she is a juli sometimes.
lissienen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #8 
jibruno

well i appreciate the advice, and now i have a lot more options to consider.

Thanks all!

ill probably switch out my snails for a pleco
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote