Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2009, 01:14 PM   #31 
ScentedLove

I don't understand why people treat the bettas as If there not living ;(
ScentedLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #32 
Kim

I know...if we really want to decide value based on brain size then there are a lot of people that I know that are about on the same level as rocks....
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #33 
sampster5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScentedLove View Post
I don't understand why people treat the bettas as If there not living ;(
The employees do whatever they are told to do. Sadly, fish are not very important to most local pet stores. I say they take fish out of the stores that cant take care of them. Fish are animals too and the state they are in reflects how much the owner or employees care about their job or helping customers. The Petsmart and Petco nearby both seem to take very good care of their fish, but the second I see a group dying or sick I will buy them out like a crazy person and re sell to my friends. I cant stand to see them in horrible conditions!

I bought a corydoras cat once because the employee told me they would be flushing it because it had one eye. I said, would you kill a dog with one eye? Or would you give it to someone who could take care of it and give it the right kind of life it needs. No reply, but they gave me three cats for free and I saved a life. Win win win!
sampster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:51 PM   #34 
Rotten

My Pet smart is great! When I was there today, they were feeding and changing the water for all the Betta's. Cups, yes, but not as bad as some. Weird why mine would be better than most. :/
Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #35 
Kim

It all depends on who's working there. My lfs seem to go in cycles from bad to good. I think that it's because the people who really care make a change for the better, but then get disgusted by the people who buy these animals as objects, and leave. Then they hire the trash employees again and everything goes downhill until some good ones come along again :(
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #36 
spongebobthebetta

petsmart where betta go to die

i go to petsmart for cheap betta stuff and lately when i go i see up to 4 dead betta fish today i saw 3 and most of their water was nasty i wouldn't let my betta live in that filth so i got the nerve to call the petsmart headquarters and give my complaint i told him something had to give that betta fish deserved better living conditions then that and that when a betta fish died to get rid of it as soon as possible because they could cause trauma to the other betta fish close to him.They told me they would call me and tell me what they did to solve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
Oh, that's terrible >:(

Petsmart is pretty bad around here too...once I walked in and their entire fish section was infected with ick and some form of fin rot. Not just the bettas- EVERYTHING!

Walmart is by far the worst here though. There is usually about an 1/8" of crap on the bottom of the containers and the water is YELLOW! Not tinted, just plain yellow and thick looking. They only had a few bettas and I wanted so badly to take them but I didn't have the money just then and I was dealing with a lot of other stuff at school at the same time so I couldn't :(

The good thing is our Petco has actually cleaned up their act and the bettas are usually beautiful. Once I saw a little CT floating on his side and after I walked away I came back and he was gone. My mom said that someone came to take him to the "desk" where they take care of sick fish. Now this could be a good thing - they're actually taking care of them- or it could be just a place where they put them to die. I don't know but I can only hope that they actually treat them since the rest of the fish department seems up to par.
spongebobthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #37 
popcorndeer

thats bad
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM   #38 
spongebobthebetta

my betta fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorndeer View Post
thats bad
yea this is my betta his name is Spongebob (a.k.a Gordo)

spongebobthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #39 
registereduser

This is a 3 and a half year old thread. It is against the rules to revive threads this old for no reason.

Quote:
11) Do not resurrect or bump threads without reason.
Please do not post to a thread that has not received a reply in a long time unless you have something substantive to add that is not more appropriate in a new thread. Similarly, please use "bumps" sparingly and do not bump your thread unless/until a significant amount of time has passed without it receiving replies. Excessive bumping is more likely to annoy other members than motivate them to reply to your thread.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=48202
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:08 PM   #40 
AyalaCookiejar

I went to Petco the other day and a lot of the bettas were dead, especially the babies, and many of them were having seizures of sorts which I notice is common in that store.. I've only been to the petsmart once and they had only a few bettas. Not sure if that was because they had many customers or because of the low survival rate. Walmart is the worst, though. Every time I go there, there's always dead/half dead bettas and some with extremely severe fin rot. They had a pretty orange VT once that had almost no caudal fin... But the last time I went, they had a dead female sitting on the shelf that was encased in a layer of fuzz that was thicker than her body and her fins looked charred. I'm not sure if columnaris can do that or if it was mold, but she had obviously been sitting there dead for quite some time. I went to a LFS one time, and although all they had were male VTs that were either red or blue and were in smaller containers than the ones at petsmart/Petco/Walmart that had no lids, they did look healthier and none were dead or really sick. I didn't see any fin rot, though, but they were still at room temp in itty bitty bowls.

I think the only place I've ever seen with heated containers for the bettas was earl may... They had them in cups that hooked to the inside of a heated guppy tank. Unfortunately, the cups were tiny and there was a guppy that must've jumped into one of the Betta cups because they had no lids. That was so sad to see that Betta and guppy stuffed into that little cup. The Betta looked like he was trying to get away, but he had no place to go :(

I guess there are minor pros to each store but there is also major cons to each store (which is usually just bad care and always too small of containers).

Edit: oh, sorry. I didn't realize this thread was that old 0_0
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote