Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 
Irishdancer

Just went to PetCo and I think I'm going to cry

I took my sister to the mall today, but we missed a turn and had to go into the pet store's parking lot to turn around. Which means that I had to go inside and visit the fish.

They've had two elephant ears there since at least a month ago. When I first saw them, they were absolutely beautiful and healthy and active. Now they're still pretty, but they just don't seem as happy and healthy. I feel awful knowing that probably the reason they're still there is that there aren't that many people willing to pay $25 for a fish. I really wish I could buy one of them, but I don't have the money to set up a new tank.

I was seriously debating buying one and keeping him in my emergency half-gallon tank, just because he'd probably be better off there than in his little cup (and in my 80-degree house than in the overly-air-conditioned store), but my sister talked me out of it. Which is probably a good thing, but I'm really sad for them. You'd think elephant ears would get sold pretty quickly, since they're fairly unusual.
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:01 PM   #2 
BettaFran

Yes you would think so. But I think you're spot on, as far as the reason goes: $25 being too much for a fish most, unfortunately and infuriatingly, consider a "disposable" fish...vs, say, paying that much for some tiny saltwater fish or something. Lets just pray the right, perfect, caring person (besides yourself, since you can't) comes along ASAP. Bless your kind heart :)
BettaFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #3 
xShainax

I went to my Petco yesterday and saw a dead EE. :(
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #4 
percyfyshshelley

I rescued an EE a while ago but he died after two days, unfortunately. I don't regret paying $20 for him, but I wish I could've saved him. So sad about the ee's. Maybe they will get marked down and someone will give them a good home.
percyfyshshelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:17 PM   #5 
IndigoChild311

I saw some EE today along with a couple male and female CT today in Pets Plus and it broke my heart to see them with dull fins, just floating around in these crappy little cups. It's so sad to see. They could thrive in the right environment but they're not given the chance.
IndigoChild311 is offline   Reply With Quote