Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #1 
Sylerwin

Stocking question

I currently have a filtered/heated/aerated 10 gallon tank with lots of hiding places among decor and plants.

It is currently home to 3 African Dwarf Frogs, 2 Cory catfish (1 juli 1 pepper)
and typically, my male betta. (Though he's in a hospital tank right now).

I was thinking about getting a mystery snail. Would that be too much?

Here are my reservations:
1. Snail multiplication: Aren't they asexual as in they can reproduce by themselves? I've once had a snail issue when one snuck in with a plant and the next week I found around 20-30 of the little buggers.
2. Waste: I'm currently getting rid of a bout of planaria that I had in the tank--I've increased the amount that I vacuum the gravel, and that's when I invested in the Cory's to eat the excess food. Are they "dirty?"
3. Temp: I have my tank set to a comfy 79-80F, would that be acceptable for a snail?

Thanks folks.
Attached Images

Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylerwin View Post
I currently have a filtered/heated/aerated 10 gallon tank with lots of hiding places among decor and plants.

It is currently home to 3 African Dwarf Frogs, 2 Cory catfish (1 juli 1 pepper)
and typically, my male betta. (Though he's in a hospital tank right now).

I was thinking about getting a mystery snail. Would that be too much? - Would be fine IMO.

Here are my reservations:
1. Snail multiplication: Aren't they asexual as in they can reproduce by themselves? I've once had a snail issue when one snuck in with a plant and the next week I found around 20-30 of the little buggers. - Mystery Snails must have a male & female to reproduce BUT females can still lay eggs. You can just remove the cache & throw away. LOL
2. Waste: I'm currently getting rid of a bout of planaria that I had in the tank--I've increased the amount that I vacuum the gravel, and that's when I invested in the Cory's to eat the excess food. Are they "dirty?" - They will further help to clean up wasted food, but I don't see how you can have excess food with a Betta, mine barely let a pellet with the water before its snatched up.
3. Temp: I have my tank set to a comfy 79-80F, would that be acceptable for a snail? - That temp is fine.

Thanks folks.

shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #3 
SaltAndLight

I have a mystery snail named Hiccup that lives with my Betta, Eugene. Mystery snails for the most part leave slime trails, but the slime is kind of hard to see unless they leave it on a silk plant or something they are munching on. The Mystery snail will not interfere with your corys, betta or plants - they prefer dead plant material, and will eat the algae growing on the glass in the tank or any left over food. If you're ever concerned about your snail not getting enough algae, you can throw in a sinking algae wafer. The snails usually live in 68-84 f water, so they should do fine. The only thing I would say you might have to be concerned about is calcium in the water for your snail - they need it for proper shell development. And also, be careful there is no copper in anything you put into the tank or the water you use. I run my water through a Brita filter before putting it in the tank because it gets rid of copper and chlorine. :) Mystery snails are a great addition to the tank and are very hardy.
SaltAndLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:20 AM   #4 
SaltAndLight

Oh yeah, and BTW, they don't reproduce asexually. You would need a male and a female.
SaltAndLight is offline   Reply With Quote