Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 10:43 AM   #11 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I have 2 clown plecos in my 20G and they require wood, so I have both mopani and cholla wood in the tank.

Most anything that is known to eat algae also produces alot of waste and I think a 10G would be too small for the bettas and another type of fish. A snail or two would probably work but they are also poop machines. If you had a larger tank, I have heard that bristleose plecos work wonders on algae and they stay pretty small compared to most other plecos so you dont need a huge tank - some sites say 10G minimum while others say 20-30..
Yes and no Tiki (long time no see btw)

I have bristlenose, clown, and rubberlips in my 75. The bristlenose is almost 3 times the size of the rubberlips and the clown. Not right for a 10 at all. I would say 30 gallon minimum! (they are however the best algae eaters going!)

My advice in a 10? A rubberlip with a betta. They stay small, eat algae good, and do not harrass other fish. Common plecos grow too big and will suck the slime off other fish in the tank.
FYI.....I hate snails!
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #12 
OrangeAugust

I have a big piece of driftwood in my 55 gallon. I love it. It looks nice, and some of my fish like to hide in it sometimes (it has a bunch of holes), so my fish like it, too. It makes my water a light tea color, but I don't mind. Supposedly it's supposed to soften water, but my PH is still about 9 (my tap water).
OrangeAugust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #13 
Seki

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
Yes and no Tiki (long time no see btw)

I have bristlenose, clown, and rubberlips in my 75. The bristlenose is almost 3 times the size of the rubberlips and the clown. Not right for a 10 at all. I would say 30 gallon minimum! (they are however the best algae eaters going!)

My advice in a 10? A rubberlip with a betta. They stay small, eat algae good, and do not harrass other fish. Common plecos grow too big and will suck the slime off other fish in the tank.
FYI.....I hate snails!
I'd love a little algae eater, but this is going to be a sorority and I don't want to overload it. Do you still think a rubberlip would be okay considering I am going to be stocking this tank with approximately 7 girls?

ETA: Online I was seeing that rubber lip plecos can get to 10"? Is that accurate? It looks like Otocinclus stays at about 2" which seems better for a 10 gallon tank...

Last edited by Seki; 06-17-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Seki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #14 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeAugust View Post
I have a big piece of driftwood in my 55 gallon. I love it. It looks nice, and some of my fish like to hide in it sometimes (it has a bunch of holes), so my fish like it, too. It makes my water a light tea color, but I don't mind. Supposedly it's supposed to soften water, but my PH is still about 9 (my tap water).
Yes it softens water but it doesn't necessarily mean that your pH will be affected.

pH levels that are below 7.0 are acidic while above is akaline, the softness and hardness of your water isn't in conjunction with the pH level. Yes generally the lower pH the water is naturally more soft but it doesn't always work that way.

For example my tap water is a steady 6.5 and in my 33 it stays at 7.4-7.6, I've got three pieces of Mopani in there so obviously it didn't exactly do anything to lower the pH, it just softens it up more.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #15 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seki View Post
I'd love a little algae eater, but this is going to be a sorority and I don't want to overload it. Do you still think a rubberlip would be okay considering I am going to be stocking this tank with approximately 7 girls?

ETA: Online I was seeing that rubber lip plecos can get to 10"? Is that accurate? It looks like Otocinclus stays at about 2" which seems better for a 10 gallon tank...
I have had my rubberlip for 2 years in a 75 gallon tank and he is only 2 1/2 at best. I have never heard of or seen a rubberlip 10". Sounds like misinformation to me. Octos are said to be good, but I have no personal experience with them and will not recomend something I have no personal experience with.
It won't overstock your tank if you have good filtration and do weekly water changes.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:01 PM   #16 
waterdog

Scientific Name(s): Chaetostoma milesi, L187b

Common Name(s): Rubbernose Pleco, Bulldog Pleco, Rubbernosed Pleco, Bulldog Plecostomus, Rubbernose Plecostomus, L187b, Rubberlipped Pleco

Family: Loricariidae

Species Type: Plecostomus

Maximum Size: 5 inches

Life Span: 12 years

Natural Habitat: South American Rivers

Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons

Tank Region: Bottom

Possible Tank Mates: Small south american cichlids or community fish.

Description: A rather shy pleco at times, the rubberlipped appears to be mostly nocturnal. He's right on the glass at the front when the lights go out. A fairly effective algae eater but will feast on just about anything thrown in front of him. Fairly easy to confuse the L187, L187a and L187b together as there are only small variations in spotting and color between them. I have seen fish labeled as rubberlipped or rubbernose that are indeed quite different, some growing to 14". The true rubbernose only grows to about 5".
Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #17 
Seki

Huh... I was getting my info off of Petsmart's website. I know, it's not the most reliable lol. I'll link you to it, though... I'm assuming this isn't the fish you were talking about, then?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

An Otocinclus is sounding pretty good. I will have really good filtration (I have an Aqueon Quietflow20 for the tank) and will certainly be doing weekly 25-50% water changes.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #18 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Otos would definitely overstock your tank as would a rubberlip. They just create too much waste. Go check your stats on aqadvisor.com to see what you've got with just 7 female Betta's.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:16 PM   #19 
Seki

I checked it out. Yes, it does say that my tank is slightly overstocked with an Oto (102%), but it also says I have plenty of filtration capacity and only recommends a 30% water change every week. I'm planning on doing 25-50%, so I should be fine.

If you really think it's a bad idea I certainly won't do it because I don't want to be irresponsible. I just think there is some possibility it would be fine. But I have never done this before, which is why I always ask so many questions hahaha
Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 PM   #20 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The thing with Otos is that they need to be in a group, they are a social fish and need a shoal. Otherwise that one little oto is going to get extremely lonely and possibly die, also it will be very shy.

It'd be great if we could keep just one Oto but unfortunately it's not the case :/