Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 AM   #31 
resa

ok so I have a regular 5/15 gallon filter running, some used rocks and stones (which I cleaned in vinegar) and 2 hollow logs in the tank. with 8 gallongs of great value spring water..... so far the test strips are reading at safe levels....its been cycling for 12 hours. once the 48 hr cycling period has been reached.....what if anything do I need to do? then after the 48 hr cycling.......what will I do for maintenance on this tank, how often etc.
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #32 
resa

I also put 1 tablespoon of aq salt in and tetra aquasafewhen I started the cycle
Old 06-17-2013, 12:22 PM   #33 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

No the 48 hour "cycle" period is a myth, that does absolutely nothing for your fish. Of course it's going to read all levels safe, there's no fish in there to create ammonia to start with!!!

The Nitrogen Cycle is what you want to do, it's going to take about a month. What you're doing is growing a colony of Beneficial Bacteria or BB. For BB to grow they need ammonia and then they turn that ammonia into nitrites and then finally into nitrates which are safest for your fish, nitrates are taken out with water changes. That's why it's important to do your weekly water changes so that you can take out the Nitrates which can still harm your fish.

So looks like you'll be doing a "Fish-In" cycle which means you'll have your fish in there while your colony of good bacteria grows in to keep the fish safe. You will need to test for ammonia every day or every other day for a month, DO NOT let ammonia go over .25 ppm's, it can harm your fish and it is very stressful for your fish. Look at that link that I gave you and go to comment #4.

If you notice your ammonia getting over .25ppm do a 50% water change, wait an hour and test again. If it's still .25ppm or over then do another 50% change.

Also do not use AQ salt for prevention, it does NOTHING for your cycle. When used long term for Betta's, even at a low dosage it causes liver/kidney failure which is Dropsy. So in order to avoid that, NEVER use AQ salt more than a 14 day period and never over 3 teaspoons/gallon.

Okay?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #34 
resa

ok I'm going to go read that link...but wanted to question you on this....for the fish in cycle can I use minnows from petco or the other fish they sale for under 25 cents and how many do I get for the cycle process....I'm bringing the betta back to petco bc she's doing to bad so I know they can help her better than me... and I want to use the cheap fish for the cycle bc I'm low low on cash and I want to use them until I get my bettas delivered
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #35 
resa

also the spring water and setup I have now can I keep in the tank when I start the fish in cycle? bc my tap water is high in ammonia and the water conditioners I have don't bring it down thanks. now I'm gonna go read that link...btw thank u so so much for helping me
Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #36 
resa

also I have river rocks I got from a freshwater river..... if cleaned appropriatelycan I use them
Old 06-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #37 
KohakuRiver

I have in the past, but it would depend on the health of the river you got them from. If it is not polluted, they should be fine, so long as there is nothing growing on them.
KohakuRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #38 
resa

ok what is substrates
Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #39 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
No the 48 hour "cycle" period is a myth, that does absolutely nothing for your fish. Of course it's going to read all levels safe, there's no fish in there to create ammonia to start with!!!

The Nitrogen Cycle is what you want to do, it's going to take about a month. What you're doing is growing a colony of Beneficial Bacteria or BB. For BB to grow they need ammonia and then they turn that ammonia into nitrites and then finally into nitrates which are safest for your fish, nitrates are taken out with water changes. That's why it's important to do your weekly water changes so that you can take out the Nitrates which can still harm your fish.

So looks like you'll be doing a "Fish-In" cycle which means you'll have your fish in there while your colony of good bacteria grows in to keep the fish safe. You will need to test for ammonia every day or every other day for a month, DO NOT let ammonia go over .25 ppm's, it can harm your fish and it is very stressful for your fish. Look at that link that I gave you and go to comment #4.

If you notice your ammonia getting over .25ppm do a 50% water change, wait an hour and test again. If it's still .25ppm or over then do another 50% change.

Also do not use AQ salt for prevention, it does NOTHING for your cycle. When used long term for Betta's, even at a low dosage it causes liver/kidney failure which is Dropsy. So in order to avoid that, NEVER use AQ salt more than a 14 day period and never over 3 teaspoons/gallon.

Okay?
ok i read it....I'm talkin on fb to the breeder I'm buying my fish from and she said she uses banana leaves and IAL......what are those and what's the circumstance for them
Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #40 
resa

can i use wild minnows from my ditch for the cycle process and or fishing shinners?