Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #1 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

So...I Went To Walmart

So I knew I had to get root tabs eventually for my plants and I wanted to get some Flourish for the other tanks while I was at Petsmart. I looked around at the Betta's while I was in Petco first (it was closest so I stopped anyway).

There was a beautiful orange VT boy with cellophane butterfly pattern and boy if I had room for more males I'd totally would have bought him! But I was looking at the females to see if anything interested me. There were a few cute ones but none of the colors appealed to me and neither did any "speak to me"

Now normally my Petco is alright with their Betta Care. Usually just a few are clamped and a bit lethargic, not normally many with fin rot or anything like that, but I ended up picking up a "Baby" Betta cup and I looked inside and my jaw literally dropped! This horrible poor baby was almost full grown meaning it had spent about 2 months in that store and his tail fin was gone, just completely gone and the rot was eating at his body. I could literally see his spine and ugg I almost vomited at that. I made sure to put him out front on the goldfish display tank they had out there so that all could see this poor boy! I didn't have room for another male and even though I wanted to save him, I don't think I could have.

But then I went to Petsmart are leaving the poor boy there. Now Petsmart is the one where all the Betta's are pretty much dead or dying. It's a shame too because they had some beautiful males there! And now they're selling Moss balls in a cup lol I went to look down and was utterly confused when I saw a giant green moss ball instead of the females that are usually there XD

So there was one CT girl that interested me but I decided not to get her and got my root tabs (half the price of my LFS thank god, ugg), Flourish and got some more Stress Coat+ while I was there. So I decided, why the heck not, let's go to wal-mart!

So this walmart isn't the normal one we go to that's 12 minutes from my dad's house, but this one has live fish. The tanks actually didn't look have bad either and I actually ran into the same couple that I saw at Petsmart beacuse it was closing time so we went to Wal-Mart XD I thought that was funny and we chatted a bit while I looked at the female Betta's.

Most of the males were either red or blue and most actually were CT's only like two VT's were there. Then almost all the females were varying sizes of what looked to Plakat girls. All were black with some sort of iridescence on them. Some had red irid, other blue, other's green. I picked up the most clamped girls and looked at her, she had breeding stripes and was huge!

I saw another girl who was feisty and had to debate, the smaller girl had blue irid and was really pretty but she didn't look as nice as the bigger girl who just kept looking at me.

So without further ado, I introduce to you Shadowcat! I'm fairly certain that she has some Giant blood in her, I haven't properly measured her yet but she's bigger than Mystique my VT alpha girl! She's definitely plakat mix and beautiful! I acclimated her two hours last night and finally got her over to clean water in her cup. I'm not at my dad's yet till Wednesday (that's where all my tanks are) so she'll be in her cup for now but I have a desk lamp on her for the day to help keep her cup a little more heated (not direct light) and so far so good!

She ate 3 pellets this morning after seemingly a big debate with herself about them haha but she was very eager to eat two more pellets and I decided not to overload her with them so it wouldn't stress her out. She's still had breeding stripes and looks a bit eggy still but that's totally fine. I also realized that I forgot my camera battery at my dad's so I had to use my cellphone so pics are no good! But I'll get more pics up once Wednesday comes

She also seems to have this stripe going up from her face to her dorsal, not sure if I should be concerned about that or if it's just because she's stressed out and lost some color? Either way, first two are Shadowcat and the last boy is the one I saw at Petco, forgive any gruesome imaging!
Attached Images

lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #2 
Canis

Lovely girl!

That poor baby D: I am absolutely disgusted that they make so much money but can't spare a tiny bit of salt to help out the poor fish.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #3 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Better that they don't use salt and just change water more frequently to prevent that. I'm sure half of them don't know that salt can cause liver/kidney failure (dropsy) when used in long periods of time. But yes it's disgusting and I felt so bad for him. I'm going to ask how I can get a fish free as a rescue but I would love to at least try and then if he does end up passing I'll know it was in a better place than in a horrible cup!

But thank you! I can't wait to see her under better lighting. She's got wild-type coloration, her tail is red and tipped in blue like normal and her dorsal is completely blue with the wild spots on it, so cute!! She's going to have a giant personality as well haha
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #4 
Fenghuang

Oh, no, the poor boy! ): If I lived closer, I might broken my own limit again and gotten him.

Shadowcat is a lucky fish.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Thank you! Any idea's on how to persuade employee's that the fish should go to me for free? I might make another visit tomorrow to see if he's still there to argue for him. I do have another QT tank that I can use for him just not a permanent home but I'm sure someone on here would be willing to take him if in fact he did live!
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #6 
Fenghuang

I'll take him if you can get him and he makes it.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sounds like a plan! I can only go back tomorrow and I really actually hope he's still there! I'll keep you updated!!!
Old 06-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #8 
Fenghuang

Yay! I really hope he is. He deserves a chance to live.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #9 
Riverotter

If the person in charge of the fish dept tells you no, ask to talk to the manager. Tell them they're taking a loss anyway, as the fish is dying, and in the meantime, it's making their store look bad.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

+1 Riverotter (EDIT: All this time, I've been reading the name as "Rivertrotter"...)

Use more logic, less emotion. If you talk business with them, they are more likely to respond positively than if you argue with them. Although some people have gotten their way by complaining... But that should be a last resort.