Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-25-2009, 10:12 AM   #1 
LaniBaby

Exclamation Now it's Crumb who needs Help! Fungus?

Hi Everyone,
So it started with Bluey needing help (his tail looks pretty weak but no further signs of deterioration) and now it's Crumb. A few days ago, I noticed he had something that looked suspiciously like fin rot. I keep him very clean, so I think it might have been caused by the filter. (I didn't trust the filter: always making noise, and when I turn it off, gets bacteria - so I shut it off) I was cleaning his tank and some of the old water from the filter dripped into the water. Apprently this was a big deal because it looks like it gave him fin rot. I'm treating him for that with JFC and it seems to have halted. I also did a 100% water change and cleaned out his sand with hot water and melafix and i washed all the plants, filter parts, etc. This morning I woke up to find him covered in a stringy fungus! It's so far just on his tail, and when he swims fast, it falls off. He's still eating, acting just fine, and the fin rot seems to have stopped progressing, but now there's fungus. I was going to do the 2nd dose of JFC tomorrow (that's 4 days, per the box) but it doesn't seem to be affecting the fungus. I was thinking of moving him to a quarantine tank without a heater (since it's fairly warm in here, about 77 degrees right now) and cleaning out and sanitizing his whole tank with bleach for a few days. Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Why Crumb? I love Crumb. :(
LaniBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would try some Maracyn or Maracyn 2. I sure hope Crumb gets better! Bleaching the tank might be a good idea.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 AM   #3 
ScentedLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I would try some Maracyn or Maracyn 2. I sure hope Crumb gets better! Bleaching the tank might be a good idea.
Yeah I agree =)
ScentedLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:42 PM   #4 
LaniBaby

well i didn't want to dose him with the maracyn until he was off the JFC, which he's still on. I contacted the breeder again (she's really helpful) and I learned something I had no idea about: she said that the "fungus" might actually be a shedding of his slime coat, and that's why it's not sticking to his body but falling off when he swims. She said it's caused by a change in water, particularly pH, and since I just gave him a 100% change and gave him anti-biotics, he might actually be shedding his slime coat. She recommended not dosing him because the fungus would actually be on his head/body and wouldn't just come off like that. I didn't even know that could happen. So i'm going to keep observing and give him a second dose of JFC to be sure the tail rot goes away. He has such a lovely tail and i'd be just sick if he lost it and it grew back poorly. thanks, guys!
Old 08-25-2009, 06:46 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would definitely take the breeder's advice. I hope he gets better soon.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:58 PM   #6 
Kim

Yeah, fungus usually doesn't just fall off. That's great news for you though...and Crumb too!
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 04:01 PM   #7 
LaniBaby

Totally great news. I did a 40% or so change on the water of both guys today and did a second dose of JFC, just to be sure. The "fungus" i saw seems to have disappeared and i think i even see a little bit of new growth on crumb's tail! so it looks like things are going well. i'll keep everyone updated!
Old 08-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm glad to hear that Crumb is doing better!