Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #1 
CooperS

Fin Shredding

Hi,

I have had Marlin for almost two years. He is in a 2.5 gallon tank which is held constant around 80 F. I change the water 50% every other day and 100% every third change.

He developed fin rot a couple months ago (I did not change the water as often back then) and it seemed to go dormant for for a while. But for the past maybe six weeks his tail has been shredding. It will get really bad one day then for a few weeks heal and look almost normal, then within one day it will go back to looking very shredded. I believe it is fin rot, but it doesn't have a noticeable black color like fin rot is known to have.

To treat it I have been using API treatment for fin rot and API stress coat for the past month. I don't know what else I can do but I want this problem to go away! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Cooper
Attached Images

CooperS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:56 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

What kind of decor does he have in there? Plants? All real? all fake? Mix? Filter? Rocks? Thermometer?

Doesn't look like fin rot, he's most likely getting caught on something and ripping them.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #3 
CooperS

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
What kind of decor does he have in there? Plants? All real? all fake? Mix? Filter? Rocks? Thermometer?

Doesn't look like fin rot, he's most likely getting caught on something and ripping them.
Hi, thanks for the reply,

There are only plastic ornaments. There is a Spongebob house, two fake plants, two betta leaf beds and a Hydor Theo thermometer. I know he likes to swim in and out of the big plant a lot. But would they cause the fin to appear shredded?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yes it's most likely the plastic plants. They are the mortal enemy to long finned Betta's, even short fins sometimes. Here's a tip, take out the plant and run some pantyhose over it, if it snags or rips then it will shred and snag your Betta's fins. I suggest getting some silk plants if you can, it would really help him out and stop him from tear his fins so much.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:28 PM   #5 
CooperS

Quote:
Yes it's most likely the plastic plants. They are the mortal enemy to long finned Betta's, even short fins sometimes. Here's a tip, take out the plant and run some pantyhose over it, if it snags or rips then it will shred and snag your Betta's fins. I suggest getting some silk plants if you can, it would really help him out and stop him from tear his fins so much.
Hm, thanks! I'll try it out. But how do you know it's not fin rot?
Old 06-17-2013, 06:38 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Fin rot would completely edge your Betta's tail fin and it would look dead. His looks like it's his natural color coming in, over time they can change colors. I also see some clear/white fin at the edge which tells me it's new fin growth, not rot.

Fin rot will look like this, note the dead black edging that looks like it's going to fall off:
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #7 
CooperS

Quote:
Fin rot would completely edge your Betta's tail fin and it would look dead. His looks like it's his natural color coming in, over time they can change colors. I also see some clear/white fin at the edge which tells me it's new fin growth, not rot.

Fin rot will look like this, note the dead black edging that looks like it's going to fall off:
Oh I see, thank you very much!
Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Very welcome!!