Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 06:12 AM   #11 
Juditko

Another question. If I can get Kanaplex today do I dose it on top of the Epsom salt or do a water change to clear the salt?
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:46 AM   #12 
Stone

Stay away from adjusting your ph,with the chemical products it is a really complex process depending on how much of a buffer you have, and if you lower it too fast it can be harmful to the fish so you have to do it before the water gets added to the tank, the big water machines at walmarts are pretty good and pretty cheap r/o water, you can mix it with tap water and use things like a tannin source, IAL/Oak leaves/ Driftwood, willlower your ph and you can also add peatmoss into your filter, I can understand your pain my tap water tests out at about 8.6, and I actually use about a 15% distilled water mix with my tap (distilled is usually slight acidic here ours test and like 5.6) which works good at getting rid of the buffer so the peatmoss and driftwood can actually make a difference, but it took a lot of experimenting to get my water to be at 7.4-7.6 range in tank, and you should let your water sit for about 48 hours before testing your ph after you have added your conditioner, trapped co2 and other gases will a make the ph lower after 48 hours that water should be what it really is, one day I am going to spring for an R/O system but what I am doing works for now, and it a pretty natural way vs adding a bunch of chemicals
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:14 AM   #13 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Looks like most of it is covered already, I had wanted to add though, you should try hand feeding him either with your fingers and hold it loose enough he can grab it or with a dropper of some sort. I think letting the pellets sink right next to him will help as well. He really does need to eat.

He doesn't seem too bloated from the pictures so I think you can stop fasting him and get him to eat again so that we can see poop and whatnot.

That's pretty much all I have for now but it looks like you've already got plenty more people more experienced than I at this kind of situation

Good luck to Buzz! I'll keep an eye out here anyway, but good luck to both you!
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #14 
LittleBlueFishlets

You can use Epsom salt with medications.

If you get the Kanaplex today, keep the Epsom salt dosage where it currently is. Personally, I try not to change more than one variable at a time so that I can determine what's working and what's not.

Try feeding him a small amount. Good nutrition is important. If you can find some mosquito larvae, that would be ideal!

How is he today?

Last edited by LittleBlueFishlets; 06-17-2013 at 08:49 AM.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #15 
Juditko

As of right now still alive. I just called a LPS and they have Kanaplex! So I'm off to get it! How is it dosed ??
Old 06-17-2013, 05:05 PM   #16 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

You can soak his food in it so that he injests it quicker but of course you'd have to feed him. Otherwise it can go into the water. LBF should have more on it
Old 06-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #17 
Juditko

Early evening update. He looks worse if possible but acts like he feels better, if you believe it. I dosed the tank with Kanaplex as soon as we got home. I tried food and he ate three nls small fish pellets! Was afraid to give more but may give another one before bedtime. Tail fin now has bloody edges, but he has been sitting on it a lot. Will post a new pic as soon as I get it uploaded.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #18 
Juditko

Had terrible storm here. Power down so my last post for the night. I wrapped the tank up in a double layer of towels to keep temperature more stable.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #19 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

That's good! I meant about the towels lol that does stink though, we had a minor thunder shower but nothing bad yet.

I hope it comes back on soon! And that everyone is okay!
Old 06-17-2013, 09:55 PM   #20 
Juditko

Just checked temp. Holding steady. Expecting power to be out all night.