Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-15-2013, 03:48 PM   #11 
ElizabethB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I'm wishing you the best of luck for the EPA to come crack down on this! Horrible!

Also, I know it may sound weird, did you send the EPA photos of the dead turtles? It might help light a candle under someone's behind
At the time we hadn't put two and two together. But we thought it was odd, you hardly ever find snappers just dead.
ElizabethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:05 PM   #12 
NeptunesMom

Can you get a video of it? If I were you, I would get a video and contact the local news media. I would also post it on Youtube, and if you have a community college or university nearby (like within an hour drive) contact their Environmental Science Dept, or Biological Science Dept and ask if they have any instructors/professors who know about pollution such as this. It may help get you in contact with someone who can get the ball rolling at a higher level. Many Environmental Scientists have connections within state agencies that oversee environmental issues.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #13 
ElizabethB

Actually, I work at the local community college, but I am off for the summer. I'll have to find out who the head hauncho is of the science division. I have a contact with the local media- I shot a video, but I don't know if it is clear enough. I was trying to be incognito about doing so, and I also didn't want to wade across the river of filth to get any closer.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #14 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethB View Post
Actually, I work at the local community college, but I am off for the summer. I'll have to find out who the head hauncho is of the science division. I have a contact with the local media- I shot a video, but I don't know if it is clear enough. I was trying to be incognito about doing so, and I also didn't want to wade across the river of filth to get any closer.
Well good luck! I'd try to find someone who does research in water management. They would probably be the most likely to have some sort of contact person within the city/state government.
NeptunesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #15 
countyrd419

E-mail your local news or their Facebook, Twitter page that will get the station manager's attention.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #16 
Laki

Actually, Neptune brought up a good point. Academics love getting involved. That's how the city found out about the starving ducks here at the university. Someone alerted the biology dept and the crap hit the fan.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #17 
ElizabethB

Update

I have been in contact with the state capitol all day. The conversation is as follows, with sensitive information deleted.

Dear Sir or Madam,

I want to file a formal, anonymous complaint. The city of ******** has been dumping raw sewage into a creek that runs parallel to the property that I live on. I am a conservationist and a fish keeper, so I happen to have an API Master Test kit for freshwater fish. I took a sample of the water, and as you can see the ammonia levels are off of the chart. We have been finding dead snapping turtles on the property, and I have children that used to play in this creek. Please, take this matter seriously; I love Kentucky and my children. It is a public health hazard. I also have in my possession a video of the City Department at work.

__________________________________________________ _______

Dear Ms. ********;

I am interested in having our division investigate your complaint of alleged degradation to the waters of the Commonwealth. However, I am in need of your physical address, the date you sampled the water and, if possible the name of the stream. I also would like a little more specific information regarding your belief that the wastewater plant employees are somehow dumping raw sewage. If you know the date and location of the offense, it would be greatly appreciated.

I assure you that all personal information that can identify you is kept confidential.

__________________________________________________ ____________________

My physical address is ****************. The water was sampled June 14th at
approximately 4:30 PM. As far as I know, the stream is unnamed. The offense took place almost directly across the street from our property. I witnessed a city truck pumping water into the stream. The water was grayish-brown with an offensive (human offal and sulpher) smell. This is when I decided to gather a water sample and test for the presence of ammonia, which was found.

The offense was taking place on the days of June 12th, the 13th, and the 14th as far as I know.

I can photograph the spot where the truck was parked, it appears that the area may house a pump.

Thank you,

Dear Ms. ******,

Thank you very much for the tip. We will have our ************ Regional Office investigate “Incident #*********”. This is not a permitted activity.
I actually just received an email from one of our inspectors in that office who tells me another complainant witnessed similar activities this June. It appears that caller may have witnessed the same thing in a different section of town. But that is not for me to determine.

If you wish to follow-up on the investigation, please feel free to contact me or to call Supervisor ************* in **********. Mr. ******** can be reached by calling 555-555-5555. Do not forget to reference the Incident number which is Incident #***********.

Thank you for your prompt response. I have collected a sample jar of the water and retested for ammonia. It has been diluted considerably, but it is still hovering at about .75 PPM. I realize that my test kit is limited; I'm sure regional office has more advanced equipment at their disposal. As I said, I also collected video evidence and will be happy to turn that over as well.

__________________________________________________ ______

So, what do you guys think?

Last edited by ElizabethB; 06-17-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #18 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Huh. Glad they are willing to do something!
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #19 
countyrd419

What part of Kentucky are you near? Lexington, Louisville, Paducah or across from Cincinnati. Maybe a major radio station might do a spot on your story too and get the word out. Of course Facebook and Twitter will do wonders.

It looks like you are starting to reach out to the people in government who will be involved in dealing with this mess. I wish you the best of luck in fighting polluters.
countyrd419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #20 
Laki

Great work!! One thing, you said you *'ed out all the sensitive info but you shared the phone number of 555-555-5555 which is in complete disregard for Mr. *********. I am disappointed.

;P

Hope something gets done about this!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote