Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #11 
jadaBlu

Yes they are ragged it kind of looks like fin biting. Are the edges black at all? How long has the problem existed? I only use sponge filters and I never have turned them off when addinig salt to a tank. I don't know how a regular filter is affected.

You could do a salt bath instead. I found this on this forum and have tried it. It would be alternative to salting the tank all the time. Jungle has stress coat that contains salt and aloe so you could add that as an additional protector and healer. Vitachem is supposed to help heal fins too.

How to give a salt bath

Salt Bath's are a very useful, holistic method to cure illness in sick fish. It works well on parasites, ulcers, fin rot and some other fungal and bacterial infections. There are times when stronger meds are needed such as anti fungals and antibiotics. Salt baths are also not good for all fish. It will burn the skin of scaleless fish, but our betta's have scales and are rather salt tolerant.

To administer a salt bath

Mix 1 teaspoon aquarium salt with 1 gallon of treated water (not tank water), make sure all of the salt is dissolved. You can then poor the gallon into smaller containers if you are treating multiple fish. The salt bath should be the same temperature as your tank, so your fish does not get shock form temperature difference as well as salt.

Scoop your fish into the salt bath and leave them in 5 minutes, unless the fish goes unconscious (rolls over on side and gill movement slows).

After the 5 minute period mix tank water into the bath to get 2/3 tank water, 1/3 bath. Leave them there for 10-15 minutes, ten return them to the tank.

You can do this safely 5 times a day for very sick fish. If you catch an illness early 1 treatment is often enough. Fin rot is a prime example here. at the first sign of rot, give the salt bath and add a small dose of bettafix to the tank as a booster and it is usually enough.

If disease has gone on a while the salt bath is not enough, but is always my starting point. It is far less stressful on fish than stronger medications. If a fish does not show improvement after 2 days worth of baths then it is time to look to stronger medication. If they look worse after the bath stronger meds are also needed. It is not a cure all but is a great starting and often ending point for treating your sick fish.

Do not give salt bath's to any scaleless fish such as catfish and loaches, as well as snails, snails really hate salt.

Last edited by neenjar; 06-25-2009 at 09:49 PM
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:39 AM   #12 
carlos puron

I can see little black spots at the end between the membranes today I don't see that much i'll check and post a new pic when I get back from.work
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #13 
carlos puron

So this is how his fins look today i think it has stopped but not sure I'll do the water change do you guys recommend to use stress coat now or later or not even think about it please some advice
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2013, 10:44 PM   #14 
carlos puron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
Yes they are ragged it kind of looks like fin biting. Are the edges black at all? How long has the problem existed? I only use sponge filters and I never have turned them off when addinig salt to a tank. I don't know how a regular filter is affected.

You could do a salt bath instead. I found this on this forum and have tried it. It would be alternative to salting the tank all the time. Jungle has stress coat that contains salt and aloe so you could add that as an additional protector and healer. Vitachem is supposed to help heal fins too.

How to give a salt bath

Salt Bath's are a very useful, holistic method to cure illness in sick fish. It works well on parasites, ulcers, fin rot and some other fungal and bacterial infections. There are times when stronger meds are needed such as anti fungals and antibiotics. Salt baths are also not good for all fish. It will burn the skin of scaleless fish, but our betta's have scales and are rather salt tolerant.

To administer a salt bath

Mix 1 teaspoon aquarium salt with 1 gallon of treated water (not tank water), make sure all of the salt is dissolved. You can then poor the gallon into smaller containers if you are treating multiple fish. The salt bath should be the same temperature as your tank, so your fish does not get shock form temperature difference as well as salt.

Scoop your fish into the salt bath and leave them in 5 minutes, unless the fish goes unconscious (rolls over on side and gill movement slows).

After the 5 minute period mix tank water into the bath to get 2/3 tank water, 1/3 bath. Leave them there for 10-15 minutes, ten return them to the tank.

You can do this safely 5 times a day for very sick fish. If you catch an illness early 1 treatment is often enough. Fin rot is a prime example here. at the first sign of rot, give the salt bath and add a small dose of bettafix to the tank as a booster and it is usually enough.

If disease has gone on a while the salt bath is not enough, but is always my starting point. It is far less stressful on fish than stronger medications. If a fish does not show improvement after 2 days worth of baths then it is time to look to stronger medication. If they look worse after the bath stronger meds are also needed. It is not a cure all but is a great starting and often ending point for treating your sick fish.

Do not give salt bath's to any scaleless fish such as catfish and loaches, as well as snails, snails really hate salt.

Last edited by neenjar; 06-25-2009 at 09:49 PM

I was thinking that when I saw it but at the end of the fins I can see black spots
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 PM   #15 
carlos puron

it's been seven days

Ok so it's beenseven days treating my betta with aquarium salt and he doesn't seem to get better I've benn using a teaspoon for five gallons removed the carbon pad and doing water changes every day but it hasn't stop the fins still on getting rot I know is not fin nipping I can see black spots where the fin has been broken so what can I do I'm desperate and I wouldn't like to be cleaning the aquarium so any other recommendations i'll post some pictures hoping someone can help me
Attached Images