Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Any Oscar people?

As a few of you know, I am now interested in oscar cichlids and I want to learn more about them.

My question for now is: What is the best substrate for them and do they need a substrate at all? If they "enjoy" interacting with the substrate at all then I do want to provide some for them.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #2 
Riverotter

Oscars are going to move the substrate around.
So, for safety's sake, you want something that can't get stuck in their mouths. Go with either a very course sand, with a few larger rocks strewn around (fist size or bigger). They will like arranging stuff around those bigger rocks.

Or a large smooth gravel, too big for them to properly pick up. They'll still mouth it and move it, it will just take them longer then if they can lift it.
Riverotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #3 
Laki

Congrats! I hope you share pics and updates! I am recently very much into oscars myself. Would like to plan on getting one in a few years when we move and have a proper house.

I would just go for large driftwoods and river rocks (the big ones). The larger the pieces are the more control you will have in where they go and stay. I've watched videos on YT of oscars taking the liberty to rearrange their tanks!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:50 PM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
Congrats! I hope you share pics and updates! I am recently very much into oscars myself. Would like to plan on getting one in a few years when we move and have a proper house.

I would just go for large driftwoods and river rocks (the big ones). The larger the pieces are the more control you will have in where they go and stay. I've watched videos on YT of oscars taking the liberty to rearrange their tanks!
So you say bigger rocks and stuff on no bed of substrate? :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:00 AM   #5 
Laki

That's what I would do. It wold be easier to clean. But you're probably like me, I don't like barebottom tanks. :)

I would go to a river and collect enough stones to completely cover the bottom but which are big enough for Oscar not to pick up and rearrange. A couple smaller ones for them to move around but this way the tank would remain almost exactly like you scaped it :)
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:19 AM   #6 

I agree with large gravel or pebbles for substrate and about one inch depth.
This will make gravel vaccuming more effective = cleaner water.
Deep substrate will only encourage poop,food,to get buried deep,and make gravel vaccuming less effective.
1077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #7 
Stone

I had tiger oscars for years, very fun fish to own, I do not currently have any due to I just do not have enough room for a 125 gal or bigger tank, you can use sand or gravel as substrate, and have larger rocks to make caves and the like, they are pretty much like a dog you can hand feed them. pet them, they respond to you and will beg for food, they are really fun to feed live foods too. feeder fish bugs, hmmm just about anything that will fit into their mounts, they are pretty hardy fish, just keep in mind they will rule the tank and eat anything small enough to fit in their mouths and even larger things if they get hungry lol, I one day will get a pair of longfinned oscars in a 125-150 gal tank
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote