Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #1 
SharonDuquette

Changing to NovAqua+ and AmQuel+

Hello again everyone! I'm back! haha. Well, so far by Betta seems to be doing pretty good. He is eating good and that heater is doing good to. So, everything seems good. knock on wood.

Anyway, when I clean my Betta tank (I do a full water change every 2-3 weeks or so which seems to be doing good) I use TopFin Water Conditioner to make it safe for my fish, which seems great.

When I was looking up things to help with Ammonia and all, I found NovAqua and Amquel and I'm wondering if it is good? I've read reviews and people say it's really really great and works really great as well. Is it okay and safe for me to just switch from TopFin Conditioner to NovAqua and Amquel? I was just wanting some opinions if you all don't mind.

And, NovAqua is to make the water safe right? It's the same thing as TopFin conditioner right? Please let me know and give me any advice! Thanks so much!
SharonDuquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #2 
fishyinpa

I use those two. Never really used any others,so cant compare lol. But I like how Amquel helps with ammonia. You do regular water changes in between the full changes right? Bc you said every 2-3 weeks....
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:07 PM   #3 
SaylorKennedy

I use them too! It works great. My fish are happy. :)
Just to warn you though, Amquel+ smells horrible when you open the bottle, so I'd suggest putting it in really quickly and closing the lid quite fast. But the water doesn't smell after you use it.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:20 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Same with Prime!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:36 PM   #5 
Jupiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
Just to warn you though, Amquel+ smells horrible when you open the bottle, so I'd suggest putting it in really quickly and closing the lid quite fast. But the water doesn't smell after you use it.
Call me weird, but I actually like the smell! My dad uses it in his tank and says it works well. :P
NovAqua is a water conditioner so it does the same thing as the Topfin conditioner you had before.

I also have a question: Is Amquel+ supposed to be used to replace the Nitrogen cycle? I'm not really too sure on how to use it. :/
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:33 PM   #6 
SharonDuquette

Thanks for the info and advice!

So, when I clean my betta's tank and I go ahead and put novaqua in, right? But do I also put in Amquel with it or do I wait until the ammonia and whatnot, seems high?
SharonDuquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:38 PM   #7 
fishyinpa

You do both at same time. The smell doesnt bother me none lol. Prime was awful smelling though haha. I use an eye dropper (with ml lines on it) to dose the buckets. And no it doesnt replace it,it just binds the ammonia(depending on the ph) so it wont be as toxic to your fish. Still have to wcs though,doesnt stop that at all. Just helps a bit. Other thing with it though,you cant use API ammonia test. It will give a false reading. Have to get a different brand.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote