Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #1 
Toaster11
Member
 
Toaster11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Unhappy Hurt Betta

I have a 10 gal divided tank in my bedroom where I keep me two Bettas Countach and Manalo. Yesterday I swapped their spots in the tank just to give them a change of scenery. About 2 hours later I looked in the tank before going to sleep and I could not find Manalo anywhere. I figured he was resting in his castle and out of sight so I switched my gaze to the other half, but when when I looked in I saw two Bettas. Manalo some how managed to jump my divider. My other Betta must have beaten him up pretty bad because he lost a lot of his gorgeous fins. I now have Manalo in a separate tank to rest and relax.

Anything else I should do to help him recover?

I also have a medicine by API called Bettafix. Should use that in Manalo's hospital tank? I feel horrible because if I hadn't swapped their sides I do not think this would have happened.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:44 AM   #2 
Sylerwin
Member
 
Sylerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
I've *heard* from somebody on this site to not use anything with "fix" in the name because it coats the lungs or something? Some aquarium salt may help, use only as directed.
Sylerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #3 
MorganC2010
Member
 
MorganC2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ohio, USA
Yeah I've heard a few people on here talk about betta fix containing tea tree oil which coats the labyrinth which is what they use to breath. Could you maybe post some pictures of him? I know API stress coat is great for torn fins so maybe use some of it.
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #4 
Toaster11
Member
 
Toaster11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
I am at work all day, but when I get home I will see if I can get a good shot of his fins. And I will not use the betta fix.
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 PM   #5 
Toaster11
Member
 
Toaster11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Unhappy

Only the bottom fins seem to be damaged. But his fins used to be so long and beautiful...
Attached Images
 
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:45 PM   #6 
Lights106
Member
 
Lights106's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Utah
Same thing happened a week ago. Sunsets amazing fins were shredded. All I've done is add some AQ salt, stress coat, kept the water pristine, and his fins already have a ton of new growth.
Lights106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #7 
sainthogan
Member
 
sainthogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Red River, NM
Just for future reference, you are not the only person on this site who has had this problem when switching their fish's side of the tank. Bettas are extremely territorial and especially if they've built a nest, they are not going to take kindly to switching to another Bettas territory.
But, Bettas are also known jumpers and may jump the barrier whether they've switched sides or not, again, mostly because they're territorial and they see competition on the other side.
And yes, Bettafix (and other -fix medicines) contain tea tree oil which can coat the labyrinth lung and cause the fish to suffocate. The company claims that these deaths are due to the result of overdosing or using the medication for something that it's not intended for (I emailed them personally on this issue) - so I personally, would steer clear of it. Some have used it successfully, others have had their fish die.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #8 
Toaster11
Member
 
Toaster11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lights106 View Post
Same thing happened a week ago. Sunsets amazing fins were shredded. All I've done is add some AQ salt, stress coat, kept the water pristine, and his fins already have a ton of new growth.
That is good news to me. I am not too worried anymore. My little guy should be fine in his own tank. Thanks!
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM   #9 
Toaster11
Member
 
Toaster11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Northern California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Just for future reference, you are not the only person on this site who has had this problem when switching their fish's side of the tank. Bettas are extremely territorial and especially if they've built a nest, they are not going to take kindly to switching to another Bettas territory.
But, Bettas are also known jumpers and may jump the barrier whether they've switched sides or not, again, mostly because they're territorial and they see competition on the other side.
And yes, Bettafix (and other -fix medicines) contain tea tree oil which can coat the labyrinth lung and cause the fish to suffocate. The company claims that these deaths are due to the result of overdosing or using the medication for something that it's not intended for (I emailed them personally on this issue) - so I personally, would steer clear of it. Some have used it successfully, others have had their fish die.
I have never have either of my bettas jump before but he must have done that even though the gap by the lid was only an inch big. I inspected the wall later and there were now gaps on the sides or underneath.

I will also throw away the betta fix. Thanks!
Toaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:47 AM   #10 
sainthogan
Member
 
sainthogan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Red River, NM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster11 View Post
I have never have either of my bettas jump before but he must have done that even though the gap by the lid was only an inch big. I inspected the wall later and there were now gaps on the sides or underneath.

I will also throw away the betta fix. Thanks!
My female jumped through a hole in lid a half an inch big when she was chasing fruit flies. They're amazing jumpers.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help my female betta hurt?? Bri06 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 4 02-08-2013 09:55 PM
Could This Hurt My Betta? Sadie555 Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories 8 07-10-2012 08:53 PM
Will this hurt my betta? D: MidnightFlare Betta Fish Care 7 11-29-2011 08:17 AM
Are betta concussions possible...? He's definitely hurt. Brizat Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 11 09-01-2011 11:40 AM
My betta seems to have hurt himself..... jeanclaudeasher Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 13 12-28-2010 07:51 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.